Chapter 28: Only

I opened my eyes. All eyes set on me. I got up quickly,  almost hitting Mac's face on the process. I was sweating lots. We were all in the guest room. A simple room wtih its own bathroom and I was on the floor. Sunlight was already seeping through the curtain-covered windows. I wondered what time it was.

It then all flashed back to me. Since the bed was small and only two people could fit in it, I volunteered to sleep on the floor, and of course beside Mac. It'd be awkward for my friends to be sleeping beside him. I was his ex-girlfriend after all. 

I could feel aches here and there. It must be because I was sleeping on the floor. I looked down, still in a daze. 

" What did you dream about?" Yhan asked. Instead of a ' Good Morning'. this could suffice. I needed to tell them everything while the memory of it was still fresh. I was glad that they, now, would take my dreams seriously. I myself knew that these dreams weren't your run-of-the-mill kind of dreams. They were telling me something. 

I looked down, giving my inner thoughts to make it all sink in. 

" Mau? You okay?" I heard Mac say, my sight never leaving my lap.

" I..." I took a deep breath. " I was Josephine Walter."

***

The sound of the ticking clock echoed and echoed in the living room. The living room, this time, looked different from what I saw last night. The feathers were still there, the mason jar with animal bones in it was still on the metal table at the corner of the room and the stuffed eagle was still as lifeless as ever. Everything seemed untouched. But somehow, it was less scary than what I remembered. And I was sure that the others were thinking the same.

That the living room somehow felt different this time.

I couldn't point out if it's a good different or a bad different, but something overwhelming and heavy was in the atmosphere. I couldn't make out what. That, was what I need to focus on.

The smell of bacon was in the air. My stomach grumbled and I didn't bother. After all, it had every right to do so. I was starving. Yhan and Kim must be too since the three of us were stuck in this hellish nightmare since Day 1. 

My stomach grumbled once more. I looked around to see if someone had heard it, and I was right. Mac was greeting me with a smirk. I ignored him but held back a laugh. It WAS funny. 

Kim looked at the both of us and saw us exchanged smiles. She scoffed and rolled her eyes. 

" Breakfast's ready." Yhan called out. We all stood and walked towards the kitchen. There was a platter full of bacon and a platter full of eggs. There was a cereal box and plates set on the table. The bacon itself was enticing enough.

" God, Yhan, this looks delicious!" Kim exclaimed. " Don't poison us now, you hear?" she joked. 

" If I'd poison you, I would have done it a long time ago." Yhan smirked. I laughed. A bit of humor was what we needed. Mac sat down at the table, Kim followed. 

" Grandpa's not here yet. I'm going to get him." Yhan said. 

I held up my hand. " No, Yhan. You stay here. You have done enough for us now. I'll go get him." I couldn't believe I volunteered but it was the least thing I could do. She has been through enough the past few days and a simple errand wouldn't harm me anyway. 

Yhan smiled. " Thanks." I smiled back. " It's the second room to the right."

I went to the hallway and repeated the words second room to the right again and again. I didn't want myself opening doors to who-knows-what. There. I found it. I pressed my ear on the door and listened for any signs of movement. I wasn't eavesdropping or anything but I just wanted to know if he was still asleep. I didn't want to bother him. 

He was talking to someone. 

" Of course... I think so too... Perhaps."

Oh. Was there someone with him? I wasn't so sure myself. I knocked on the door twice and pried it open.  

" Sir, breakfast's ready." I whispered softly. 

I caught a glimpse of Yhan's grandfather, sitting on the bed, looking at something slighty above him. He was speaking to someone standing but I couldn't see who. He must have not heard me. 

" Sir." I called out once more. " Breakfast's ready." I continued as I knocked on the open door twice.

He turned to me, surprised. He slowly grabbed his walking stick and staggered towards the door, guiding his way through. 

I stood there, still scanning the room. 

There was nobody in the room but him.