Chapter 31: Knock

Sir was already between me and Yhan in the circle. Mac helped him up and guided him to us when he told us that he wanted to be part of the circle too. This made my inner thoughts laugh. As he told us that, I imagined a little kid, excited to join in. As he positioned himself between us on the cold dusty floor, Yhan and I fidgeted as to how fragile an old man's bones would be. We feared for his back. 

" Everybody, hold hands." he instructed. His voice was as hoarse as ever. We obeyed and we held hands. The touch of youth on my left hand which was Kim's and the touch of age on the other which was Sir's. I focused my attention on the Ouija Board that was placed on the middle. 

" Focus your breathing." he continued. 

I inhaled. Exhaled. Inhaled. Exhaled. There was silence in the room. I could feel Kim's breathing matching mine. 

" Close your eyes and focus your breathing." he said. I closed my eyes slowly and once again, inhaled. Exhaled. Inhaled. Exhaled. 

The silence in the basement grew and it started to become deafening. Kim's breathing matched mine and so was Sir's. I wanted to look at them but I didn't want to break the concentration that we were having. If my officemates would see me do this, they would definitely think I'm crazy.

I could hear the birds chirping outside and the cars passing by. All of a sudden, my senses became keen. I could feel everything around me in a melodic rhythm. My muscles relaxed and it felt like all my problems disappeared into this silent void. I felt Kim's grip became tighter. 

The silence continued on, and our breathing was the only thing that mattered in this dark oblivion. 

" We are here and we are with you." Sir's voice echoed in the silent basement. 

I tensed as I heard him. Are we calling spirits?

I wanted to see what was happening, but like what I said earlier, I didn't want to break this seance. I wanted to know if Mac was still there. I wanted to know if we were still there. 

" We gather here today in hope that we'll receive answers. We gather here today in hope that we'll receive a sign of your presence. Is there anyone who wishes to speak with us? "

There was only silence in return. 

I wanted to tell Sir to stop. I was scared. This was my first time doing this and yet, I didn't want it to be my last. My stomach was heavy. I crossed my fingers that anything paranormal or unexplained would remain quiet as long as it could. 

But, as always, I was wrong. 

We heard unexplained knocking.