Chapter 45: Puzzle

The two figures continued to argue in the night. They screamed in anger and in unison. I watched them as the two spewed venom in their words against each other. It was a hateful scene. A scene that was deadly.

I opened my eyes and squinted at the sight of the full moon's glowy light. The sight of the two figures was just a dream. A vision. I had aches all over my body, probably because I was dragged across the floor by an unknown assailant. I blinked my eyes a few times. My sight was hazy and I needed to focus. 

I was lying on a dusty floor. I supported my weight on my arms as I stood unsteadily. I reached for a table beside me and placed my weight on it. My chest hurt like hell. Being dragged across the stairs took a big toll on me. I had bruises all over my body. I winced when I reached for my head. I had a very huge bump on the right side of my temple. A migraine followed after. A migraine, great. 

I staggered across the floor. It was my first time to see this room. There was a table in the middle and shelves lined up against each other. Books were scattered on the floor. A large window extended from one end of the room to another. Somehow, de' javu hit me. I had seen this before. And that's when I remembered. 

The study room!

This was the study room I dreamt back at Yhan's grandfather's house. This was where I saw Josephine Walter and a man, probably her husband, argued endlessly in this place. This was where I saw her husband pushed her to the window. This was where I saw Josephine Walter, vulnerable.

I slowly walked towards the desk and there it was: the beautiful antique chair where Josephine Walter used to sit. This was where Josephine would look out and adore the scenery of the sea. I headed towards the window. And nothing had changed. The deadly rocky shore below back in the 1900s was still there, waiting to swallow someone in its fatal depths. 

" W-Where am I?" I asked myself in a low whisper. I looked around and saw lots of documents lying on the floor. In one corner of the study room, I saw a chest full of newspaper clippings. One particular newspaper headline caught my attention. 

I walked towards the chest and pulled it out from the others. 

                                                   May 1909

                         BIG REVELATION ON THE WALTERS

                                  Children not from husband

I stood there, still.

And in shock. 

One piece of the puzzle has just been found.