Chapter 38: Beautiful

" The windows are all tight shut." Yhan said. " We tried prying it open but it wouldn't budge." she placed her arms across her chest as the cold autumn wind blew. Luckily, this time around, we were all dressed up for autumn. 

I watched them as they made their way towards me. 

" No need. The door's unlocked." I replied, pointing at the door. 

" But you said it was locked a while ago. You made us check all the lower windows for nothing?" Kim said in a pant. 

" Someone opened it." I countered.

" Huh? Who?" The two of them chorused in reply. I didn't know who too. The woman's words still bothered me and I just had to tell Kim and Yhan what had happened. 

" There was a woman."

" She just opened the door?" Yhan asked. 

I nodded. 

" Where is she now?" 

I shook my head. " I don't know. But she said, they're waiting for us. She knew my name.  I turned back to face her but she was already gone." 

The three of us exchanged glances and I saw Kim gulped. " I hope they're human." she said. 

We made our way into the house and the door creaked eerily as we entered. The furniture were all covered with white cloth and they were like ghosts waiting for their owners to arrive and use them once again. Dust and cobwebs were everywhere in the house. It felt like we were the first people to set foot here ever since the 1900s. 

" Hello?" Yhan called out. Her voice echoed throughout the house. 

I held her arm. " What are you doing?" I whispered in a panic. 

" In case, some hobo's living here, we have given him a heads up." she replied. I shook my head.

Every step onto the wooden floor was a sound of creaking. If some hobo was living here, he would have been alerted to all the sounds we were making. 

" It's beautiful." Kim awed.

And yes, she was right. Everything was placed in its righful position like the owners of this house had left them in ruins. There were still plates and saucers on the dining table that was visible from the doorway like they'd just been used and there was a gramophone with a record still on it in one of the living room's corners. The chandelier that was covered with cobwebs hung still on the ceiling. It's like time itself paused.

It's like everything here was just the way it was since Josephine Walter's murder.