Chapter 73: Memory: Stars

This was once again a dream. A recollection of the past. And I was her. I was the beautiful Josephine Walter. 

I was brushing my hair in front of my favorite dresser. It was wavy and smooth. I was wearing a cream colored Vintage night gown. Strands of hair brushed off my shoulders as I continued to stroke them. It was peaceful. This was peaceful. 

Winston Walter had some affairs and he was out of town. He would be out of town for one week. And this was the first day of that week. We would be together. My love and I would be together. 

I heard the door creaked open and what a wonderful sight he was. He greeted me with one of those killer smiles that I loved about him. I was watching him from the reflection of my mirror. He stood behind me, pressing his masculinity on my back. I let out a chuckle. He placed his hands around me as he planted a kiss on my cheek. And to my neck.

I loved this man. 

I'd be damned if I'd lie. 

He offered his hand to me. I looked at him, confused but I took it anyways. I stood up from my dresser and he led me outside the room. We were now sneaking ourselves out from this house. Our steps were mere whispers on the wooden floor. We made our way down to the stairs and into the living room. 

Thomas stopped for a moment and looked on both his sides. After checking that the coast was clear, he motioned his hand for me to follow. And so I did. We made our way past the living room and we had reached the door. He opened it quietly and made his way out. I followed too. The long stretch of my gown's cloth made me it difficult to stride but I managed somehow. As I exited the door, I heard a familiar voice. 

" Milady?"

I stopped dead on my tracks. I shut my eyes before wearing the largest smile I could muster and faced her. 

" Yes, Neema?" 

She tilted her head sideways as if to look over what was behind me. And alas, she was successful in doing so. Her facial expression changed when she saw Thomas behind me, out in the open. 

" Where will be the two of you be going this dead of night?" she asked. Her eyes fixated on Thomas, and not on me. 

Thomas stepped in front of me and took a mighty stand. " I just wanted to show Milady' here the beautiful stars of the night."

 Neema eyed us suspiciously from head to toe. " I presumed you two would be back by midnight, yes?"

Thomas smiled. " You have my word."

Neema gave us a nod and I was genuinely happy. Neema was a great friend. She was more than a friend. She was like a mother to me. My real mother sold me off to Winston, and I was glad that I met someone like Neema. She was the mother that a girl would really hope to have. 

We exited the house and made our way out the grassy back yard. We were giggling like we were young teenagers in love. 

I knew this was wrong. 

I was engaged. And I was seeing this man. I knew this was wrong. 

But everything was wrong even from the start. The whole world was a whole mess of wrongs. 

" Where are you taking me?" I huffed in excitement. 

" Back to my family's barn. Just a few yards up from here." Thomas huffed in response. 

Moments later, Thomas led me to a huge red barn house. He opened the door enough for us to squeeze into. He first went in the gap. He turned to me and reached out his hand. 

" Come on." he said. He was grinning and I couldn't help but grin too. 

" Alright. As you say so." I took his hand and followed. 

The barn was even huge in the inside. There were bushels of hay on both sides and the scent of soil and dirt lingered in the air. I grimaced at the strong odor.

" Eew, what is that gruesome smell?" I covered my nose with my right arm. 

Thomas laughed before answering. " Gruesome is a little bit harsh, don't you think?" 

I didn't respond. He continued to laugh. 

 " Come here. I'll show you." he said. I nodded.

He led me at the far end corner of the barn and showed me something that I honestly found cute. There was a pink swine snorting aimlessly. There were also three piglets surrounding their mother, also snorting. I found myself smiling in the oddest of ways.

I crouched and looked back at Thomas. " Are these yours?" 

" Yep. Got a whole herd of them back in the days. Before Master Walter took me in."

I turned to the bundle of pigs. " I supposed so." I muttered. The sound of my fiance's name made me shiver. Let's be honest here, I was afraid of him. 

I felt a gentle tug on my left arm. I turned around and saw Thomas already on his feet. 

" This is not the reason why I brought you here, if you remember." he said. His masculine voice and the way he smiled at me made my heart skip a beat. 

I stood up and returned his smile. He held my hand and led me to a wooden ladder, just a distance away from the animals. He took a hold of it and made one step up. My eyes widened. 

" Are you serious?" I guffawed. 

He looked back down at me and grinned. " You see me up here. I think I'm quite serious." he countered with a chuckle. 

My smiles were uncontainable. " Thomas Garner, you don't expect me to follow you up there in this bloody dress, do you?" I asked, still grinning. 

Thomas shrugged his shoulders. " Why not?"

I raised my hands in defeat. " Thomas Garner, you are one strange man." I heard him laugh to that. I watched him as he made his way up. I took a hold of the side handles of the ladder and took one slow step after another. 

" Come on, you can do it." I heard him cheer. I looked up and before I knew it, he was already on the other side of the wooden hatch opening. 

" How the hell-" I whispered under my breath. He reached out his hand to me and I took it. He pulled me into the hatch and we both fell to the barn's upper floor. His face was inches away from mine. I felt his breath. 

" Are you alright, Milady?" he asked. His face was still in front of mine. I sat up from the floor and blushed. 

" Yes. I am sorry..." I motioned with my hands. " ... about that."

He stood up from the floor and just gave me a smile. " That ain't a problem." His southern accent was one of his funny features. 

He walked to a nearby window and opened it. " Follow me." he simply said.

I stood up and indeed, I did. I watched him as he went out of the window and stood onto a scaffolding just outside the barn. He made his way on the barn's roof. I carefully followed, taking time on every step. I was wearing a night gown. I just had to be careful not to slip. 

We were now both standing on the roof. 

And the stars above us were beyond beautiful. 

I covered my mouth. " Thomas, it's beautiful." I awed. 

" I've always wanted you to see this. This is my special place." he softly said. He moved closer. " But you are so much more." he continued.

I looked back at him. Everything was surreal. He welcomed me in his arms. I embraced him as much as he did to me. Our eyes met and we welcomed each other with a kiss. 

It was a romantic moment. 

It was our moment. 

Nothing could separate us. 

Nothing.