Chapter 71: Drive

It felt hours since that unexplainable moment, and it's only been minutes away. As we were driving past numerous fields of trees, it felt like it's been longer than that. The shadows that these trees gave off in the distance were consuming you in its indefinite blanket of darkness. We felt safe. 

For now. 

I sat up, not wanting to relax even for a moment. I didn't want to be caught off-guarded at the least unexpected moment at all. I could feel Mac was doing the same. His muscles tensed and his eyes were darting forward. Like he wanted to make sure what was coming at us up front. 

I looked outside the window. Beyond the first layer of trees was another layer of trees. And beyond that layer was another layer. This was Seatlle for you. 

We jolted to the sound of static that the car's radio was emitting. We could hear static voices from the stereo. They were an inaudible combination of voices but some words were clear. I could hear the words ' help us', 'stop', 'you'  from the static that it was giving. It was creepy. It gave me shivers down the spine.

Mac reached for the stereo, turning the dial carelessly as he fidgeted. " What the fuck..." Inaudible static voices still continued to echo inside the car. He reached for the power button and pressed it. It didn't work. I was already having goosebumps.

Still pressing the power button, he was glancing from the stereo to the road and back again. " I think it's broken..." he muttered under his frustrated breath. 

I pushed his hand away. " Let me." I tried my luck on the dial and the power button but the static voices continued. 

" It's not working." I said, without talking to anyone particular. 

We were too focused on the stereo that we didn't get to see what was coming at us up front. We didn't have much time to absorb everything at that moment. We heard a loud thud sound as the car hit something. Mac hit the brakes and both of us catapulted onto the dashboard. The screeching sound of tires on asphalt was loud, this time. 

Mac and I looked at each other before looking back at the road behind us. There was a body. But it wasn't just any body.

It was the same body that we had hit just moments ago. 

Goosebumps started to appear all over my body. My hackles started to rise and a tingling sensation started to run from my back to the nape of my neck. 

" Oh my God." Mac muttered beside me. 

I was also in disbelief. Of course, I wanted to double check everything by checking the body out but what happened after, made me change my mind. 

The body started to find its balance on its hands as it tried to stand. The hair still covered her face and she was now on her feet. She stood spookily in the middle of the road behind us. 

Our eyes widened at the sight. She just stood there, like it was waiting for something. 

I reached for Mac's hand and then whispered under my breath. I was breathing heavily and my body was stiff. " Drive."

Mac looked up front and started to step on the gas pedal. We continued to drive, placing distance between us and the woman.