Fourty Two

I sat up all night, watching poppy peacefully sleep in the bed next to me, careful not to overheat her with the duvet. I received multiple texts and missed calls from Harry asking me to come home. I ignored them all thinking about what to do. I couldn't deny that I regretted storming out, it was in the heat of the moment and now I don't know how to go back. I can't keep Poppy away from him, it's not fair in either of them no matter how much he has hurt me.

I let the sunrise before I text Harry back.

'You have one last chance before I go back to my mums with poppy. You either explain or were over.' I sent the blunt tone obvious. I got a reply straight away letting me know he didn't sleep either.

'I'll explain everything, please come home.' He replied.

I lifted up poppy careful not to wake her as I took her into cals room, waking him up and asking him to keep an eye on her as I went to see Harry. I laid her down in the bed next to him and warned him not to fall asleep, I didn't like the idea of a full grown adult asleep next to her, the risk of them rolling on her in their sleep made me feel ill.

I left the flat in my pjs and made my way down the lift to our floor, opening the door with my keys. I found Harry in the bedroom, sitting on top of the bed with the curtains closed. The room was almost pitch black apart from the dimming shine of a lamp. He looked up at me and frowned. My stomach flipping.

"I want the truth Harry, one lie and I'm gone." I mumbled, taking a seat at the end of the bed.

"I promise you I'll tell you the truth you just have to be calm okay." He mumbled, how could he possibly think I was calm.

"Okay."

"Right so I messaged Emily a few months ago, just after poppy was born." He started, my blood boiling as I felt the rage rise up. "She runs a jewellery shop, I was getting something made for you." He finished. I just sat their staring at him. "The picture were of what she made, not of her. It was a secret because it was to surprise you." He finished.

"After having all night to think of an excuse I would've thought you'd done better." I shrugged off his attempt.

"Eva it's the truth. I wanted to tell you yesterday but the mood you were in I couldn't bring myself to do it." He mumbled leaning forwards, his knees in his chest.

"Harry, there are shops in London. Why's it taken so long. Why instead of letting that happen yesterday would you not just say that?" I said raising some valid points.

"Because you still don't understand. I wanted to surprise you in the perfect moment. Not like that. It's not just some ring, it's been designed for you in guernsey because that place is special to me. I didn't want to waste all that planning, blowing it in the middle of you leaving me!" He said frustrated. I sat perfectly still thinking of what he'd just said.

"Ring?" I mumbled.

"I'd been thinking for months about how much you mean to me and now we have a family and I know this is what I want. So I had to make it special, I wanted to show you that I do care and I do make the effort sometimes." He stuttered getting caught.

"What are you saying?" I mumbled, my heart racing in the thought of how maybe he was telling the truth.

"I'm saying, I want to marry you Eva, I want to make our family whole. I have for the past 3 months." He said reaching for his bed side draw. Pulling out a navy suede small box.

"Oh god." I said realising he wasn't lying. He opened the box to reveal a diamond ring, with two sapphire stones on either side, sparkling even in the dim light. He laid it on the bed and pulled out his phone showing me the photos she sent, dated a few weeks ago to when it was made. He dropped the phone and picked up the box again, facing it further towards me.

"This is nothing like what I was thinking, but it'll do to make you forgive me and come home." He pulling his knees tighter into his chest, his feet sinking into the sheets.

"Eva will you marry me?" He asked.

"Yes! I'm so sorry, I love you Harry." I said crying at what a fool i had been. Harry pulled his free hand to his face to cover his own tears, relieved I was coming home. He wiped away the drops on his cheeks and pulled the ring out the box, taking my hand and sliding it on my ring finger. A perfect fit.

"I love you so fucking much." He said beginning to sob again. Pulling me closer to him, separating his legs allowing me to lay in between them. My chest against his, embracing each other. He stroked my hair down my back, kissing the top of my head, in the moment we ended up wrapped around each other under the sheets.

My bare chest laid against his, his finger lazily stroking patterns on my naked back. My head resting on his shoulder, facing my hand carrying the ring balanced on his chest. He interlocked his fingers with mine, fiddling with the ring.

"I got the stone from guernsey, which is really rare to find. Cost me a fortune but I told you I wanted it to be special. You can now carry a little part of me with you at all times." He said squeezing my hand in his.

"It's so romantic." I hummed into his shoulder, placing a kiss onto his lightly sweaty skin.

"I know we're moving fast but it's not like we're the most traditional of families anyway. I think our way has been perfect."

"I couldn't agree more."