Chapter 12 Skeptical Decisions

Chapter 12

Skeptical Decisions

"Wait" John called, "Please tell me who I am?"

"Who are you?" Cynthia relied "you are an agent who works for the security of our country and its people."

"Where do I live? Do I have a family?" he asked.

"Sorry" Cynthia closed the distance between them. She looked into his warm blue eyes and softly caressed his bearded face with the back of her palms "I am sorry Merlin. I also understand that you are distressed about your identity" She said, "I wished I'd know but they follow a policy of extreme discretion of personal life." She shrugged her shoulders "I know nothing about you except you were a part of us" she then kissed him on his cheeks "and I liked you back then and I like you now"

John wasn't sure how he was feeling. He was scared, tormented, glad and confused about the revelations.

All he wanted to know was if he was happy with the life he was leading earlier?

Was killing people for good of others his forte'?

"Will you do it?" she asked whispering in his ears, her lips almost brushing his ears.

John shuddered all of a sudden but composed himself immediately "I.. I am not sure" he expressed his doubts and when he saw disappointment on Cynthia's face "I will have to think about it. I need some time."

"No worries" Cynthia smiled lightly "you have three days, the event is on Friday. Take your time." she folded his hands holding the papers "just remember there are people around who respect you and trust you."

John simply nodded.

She then placed some money in his hands "but first go and buy yourself something, you are stinking" she made an eww face and laughed louder "not that I haven't seen worse than this and this" now she waved her hand in his appearance and then hers "but a little bit of manifestations wouldn't hurt. And maybe you'll need more for what you might plan."

"And what if I decided against doing it?" John asked.

"Then the team will forget that you ever existed." She said firmly "we can part ways"

"How do I contact you?" John asked when she was about to leave.

"You don't need to" Cynthia turned around smiling that John was considering.

''''''''''''''

"Where the f##k had you been?" Danny yelled at John. "If you don't need this job you can say it right away but if you are going to take it or granted. I swear"

John calmly placed his new running shoes in the shoe cabinet at the entrance. He put the bag of clothes, his old clothes that he'd worn in the morning and placed it in one corner discreet from the eyes of forthcoming shoppers.

"Bad hangover?" he asked Danny "want me to get you some aspirin?"

Danny had observed that John would get frequent headaches. He cared

And John couldn't be thankful enough.

"I want nothing from you" Danny shouted again "if you do not want to work, you can leave my house. I did not appoint you for freebies. You need to work for money."

John wondered what had upset Danny so much?' he checked his watch he was only 10 minutes late. Danny never seemed to be an upbeat person.

"Look bud I am sorry" before John could finish, the chiming of winds rimes notified the presence of a customer.