Chapter 20 Alive And Breathing

Chapter 20

Who are you? John's voice sparked with anxiety "How do you know me?"

"psst..." his neighbor hissed "can you tone down a bit?" he sounded worried "You are not safe here. Cynthia died and all our hopes rely on you. Between do you remember anything about the password?" he asked.

John did not know if it was safe to pronounce that he hadn't got his memory back so he played dumb "even if I knew the password why do you think I would share it with you?"

"Always the cocky one!" the man besides commented, "Okay now goes. I was just trying."

"I want to meet HIM."John stated. Although he had no idea whoHIM was? He was simply trying his luck.

"He will see you at the club tomorrow at 7" the guy quoted.

"Which club?" john asked.

"The same Renaissance" he replied and I know you'll be on time like always" the amusement was evident I his eyes.

"You are risking being here. You know that?" he asked.

"The funeral has started " John hissed "it will be rude to leave. I will go once this is finished and I'd be discreet. Don't worry."

John couldn't help but shed a tear or two when they spoke about Cynthia. How nice and helping she was and how sad it was that her soul departed so early. Her grand mother, actually great grandmother or probably greater than that. She was lean, hunged and cried inconsolably for a minute and then next minute she'd ask her escort "when is this going to end?" He did not remember her though but his heart wrenched for the dead. He definitely knew her before his memory loss. He peaked a glance at all the attendees trying to find out if any of the faces were recognizable but no such luck.

He stared at his neighbor but the thick round glasses and his layered clothes said he was disguising himself; the long beard though in fashion wasn't helping either.

John resisted the tingle in his hands to pull the dark wavy bunch off his chin and waited for procession to end.

Once out in open he took his own time to breathe in the fresh air thankful that he was still alive and wondered if there were people behind crying on his absence.

He was about to wave the passing cab, he was still short of money but the funeral had left him sad and lonely, he wanted to be alone so he picked cab over bus.

Instead of waiting for him the driver waited over him.

Lucky for his blessed reflexes he jumped over the black car and saved himself from the accident.

He was alive and breathing.

The car took a sudden break, the screeching of the vehicle loud and clear and took a 'u turn towards John, John amicably made himself safe on the pavement where the vehicle won't hit him.

But he had underestimated his attackers, there were rounds of bullets fired at him but he dodged them successfully escaping behind small towers and buildings.

He could breath once the funeral was over and people evacuated the church, the street was now crowded and the attackers now ran away with speeding vehicle.

John immediately took the first bus not for Danny's though. He went to the orphanage where he had managed he stay of all the people he'd recued. He somehow believed that he was attacked only because he had helped all those people escape.

Once he reached the orphanage the young kids quickly leapt on his feet, teens came to sit around him and elders came to have a look at him like he was some God each of them blessing them.