FOUR

Steve Rogers sat next to his best friend on her bed, watching her as she shifted uncomfortably

Steve Rogers sat next to his best friend on her bed, watching her as she shifted uncomfortably. The file that was given to her by Doctor Erksine sat in her lap, but she had yet to open it since they had returned to her home.

"He offered you a chance?" Lottie softly questioned Steve, looking over at him. He nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat at he looked at her.

"He said it's called Project Rebirth. He couldn't tell me the details, but he accepted me Lottie. He's giving me a chance,"

"He said he was giving me a chance, too," she whispered, looking down upon the file in her lap. She wasn't sure what she would see when she opened it, and frankly she was scared to know what lied beneath the manila cover.

Steve swallowed the lump in his throat again, placing his hand on top of Lottie's and trying to keep himself from blushing. Lottie looked up at Steve, who tried to send her a comforting smile.

"I'm with you, Lottie. You gotta find out what's in it,"

With another deep breath and that small pep talk from Steve, she swallowed her fears and opened the file in her lap.

STRATEGIC SCIENTIFIC RESERVE "SSR"

AGENT THOMAS RICHARD WATSON

PROJECT REBIRTH

STATUS: DECEASED

CLASSIFIED CASE

"He worked on Project Rebirth," Steve breathed out, reading over Lottie's shoulder. The girl was in shock staring down at the page before her. The file contained one page, and one page only. This was the only information that Doctor Erksine had given to her.

"He worked on whatever this project is that he wants you for," Lottie's whispered, looking over the photo attached to the file. It was her father, clad in his uniform. "He wasn't a soldier, he was an SSR Agent."

Neither Lottie nor Steve spoke for the next few minutes. She clung to her best friend's hand, trying to grasp what she held in her lap. He offered her a chance, a number to call when she made up her mind, but all he gave to her was a paper that only told her one thing she didn't know before.

"Maybe this chance has to do with you dad," Steve finally said, looking up at his best friend. "Maybe he needed you to trust him first before telling you the rest."

"Do you trust him?" Lottie questioned.

"He offered me a chance, I'm out of options but to trust him," Steve admitted with a shrug. "He saw me for me, wants to give me a chance to defend my country. You father trusted him though, Lottie. That should speak volumes."