SIX

Steve Rogers took in a deep breath, trying to keep himself calm

Steve Rogers took in a deep breath, trying to keep himself calm. He stood in line with the rest of the soldiers in his training camp, having to look up at each and every one of them. It was intimidating, to say the least.

"Recruits, attention!" Steve straightened his posture, looking up just as the rest of the soldiers did. A young woman, not much older than Steve himself, with a British accent strolled toward them clad in her army regulation uniform. She was gorgeous, Steve had to admit to himself, but no one would ever compare to his Lottie. "Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter. I supervise all operations for this division here at Camp Lehigh as well as divisions over at Camp Martino."

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army,"

Steve couldn't help but let out a sigh as Hodge made his comment to Agent Carter. He had been the first to verbally pick on Steve the second he arrived, and he knew it would be no different with Agent Carter.

"What's your name, soldier?"

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty."

"Step forward, Hodge," Hodge looked back at the rest of them with a smirk as he stepped up to Agent Carter. "Put your right foot forward."

"Mmm... We gonna wrassle? Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like,"

Steve, along with the soldiers around him, had to stifle their laughter as Agent Carter lunged forward, punching Hodge directly in the face. The man was caught off guard, falling back to the ground below.

"Agent Carter," the soldiers and Steve straightened out once again when they realized that their Colonel, Chester Phillips, was approaching. "I see you're breaking in the candidates. That's good! Get your ass up out of that dirt and stand in that line at attention 'til somebody comes tells you what to do."

"Yes, sir," Hodge replied, forcing himself back into line. Steve wiped the smile off his face, looking forward as Colonel Phillips began to walk down the line of soldiers before him.

"General Patton has said that wars are fought with weapons but they are won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best men..." Colonel Phillips looked down on Steve. He spared a glance up at his Colonel, seeing the disappointed look in his eyes, and immediately looked away. "And because they're gonna get better. Much better. The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an Allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But every army starts with one man. At the end of these next two months we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers."

Steve caught the eye of Doctor Erksine, who was walking up toward Agent Carter. They exchanged pleasantries, before the Doctor looked toward the line of recruits before him. He caught Steve's eyes, sending him a smile.