SEVENTEEN

"Senator Brandt, I regret to report that Captain Steven G

"Senator Brandt, I regret to report that Captain Steven G. Rogers and Lieutenant Charlotte E. Watson went missing behind enemy lines on the third. Aerial reconnaissance has proven unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers and Miss Watson killed in action. Period."

Howard Stark had just entered the tent as Colonel Phillips finished off his condolence letter to the Senator. The smirk that sat on his lips fell immediately, the light in his eyes dimming as he thought over the words that had left the Colonel's lips.

Peggy Carter was on the other side of the room, pausing as she maneuvered papers around to take a glance up at Howard on the other side of the tent. A frown was upon her lips as well as she looked to her friend, feeling the same overwhelming weight that he was in that moment. They locked eyes were a split second, sharing a nod in understand before looking away from one another.

"The last surveillance flight is back. No sign of activity," Peggy informed the Colonel, placing another stack of paperwork on the table before her. Howard stayed in his position on the other side of the room, eyes cast down to the floor. Chester Phillips rose from his seat, stealing a glance toward Howard before looking at Peggy.

"I can't touch him, he's rich and he's the Army's number one weapons contractor. You are neither one,"

"With all due respect, sir, I don't regret my actions," Peggy informed the Colonel, looking up at him. Howard cleared his throat, gaining their attention.

"I know I'm not in trouble, but I don't regret it either,"

"I don't think Captain Rogers and Lieutenant Watson did, either,"

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions?" Colonel Phillips questioned, taking a step toward Peggy as Howard watched on. "I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's golden boy, the smartest woman on the planet, and a lot of other good men are dead, cause you wanted to help your friends."

"No, I had faith,"

"Well, I hope that's a big comfort when this division gets shut down," The Colonel shot back. Peggy's eyes drifted to the floor as Howard looked toward her, feeling horrible for the way that Phillips was speaking to her. The moment was interrupted by the commotion outside the tent, soldiers running toward the front gates. "What the hell is going on out there?"

Peggy and Howard exchanged a look, their hopes rising for just a second. They came together, chasing after Colonel Phillips side by side, both praying deep down that what they wanted to happen was truly happening.

They trio came to a stop at the tip of the crowd of soldiers from the camp, the humming of RV's coming from just beyond the gates as they opened.

Steve Rogers led the group of captured men into the camp, Bucky to his right and Charlotte Watson to his left. They were bloody, bruised, but they were alive, which was something that Peggy and Howard would never take for granted as smiles crossed their lips.

Bucky and the rest of the men stayed a few steps back as Lottie and Steve walked up to the Colonel and their friends, standing before him with their heads held high.

"Some of these men need medical attention," Steve told Colonel Phillips as medics ran forward, grabbing onto the wounded.

"We'd like to surrender ourselves for disciplinary action," Lottie added on, a small smirk on the corner of her lips as she looked at the Colonel. He swallowed the lump in his throat, nodding his head at the two before him.

"That won't be necessary," he told the two, shooting Howard and Peggy a look before disappearing into the crowd of soldiers.

Peggy and Howard took that as their cue, approaching their friends.

"You're late," Peggy told Steve. He only smiled, taking the busted transponder out of his back pocket to show her.

"We couldn't call our ride,"

Lottie looked to Howard as he stood before her, that casual smirk resting on his lips as always. The woman could only smile up at her friend.

"You know, if I had a genius, reckless young sister, I think she'd basically be you,"

Lottie laughed, leaning forward and wrapping her arms around Howard. He wrapped his around her as well, giving her a quick but tight hug.

"I missed you too, Howie,"

Lottie pulled back, turning to look at Peggy. The women smiled at one another, nodding before Lottie looked back to Steve. He held a small smile on his lips as he placed an arm around Lottie, pulling her into him. She grinned, hugging him back.

"Hey!" the group turned to Bucky, who was addressing all of the soldiers around them. He looked at his two best friends, a grin forming on his lips. "Let's hear it for Captain America and Slate!"

◼ ◼ ◼

"The fifth one was here in Poland, right near the Baltic. And the sixth one was... about here, 30, 40 miles west of the Maginot Line,"

Lottie placed the last marker on the map, nodding to the SSR soldier who took it away for further examination. She turned back to Peggy, who was watching with raised eyebrows. Lottie only shrugged, a small smile on her lips.

"I only got a quick look,"

"Well, no one is perfect," Peggy teased. The women laughed together before walking to the other end of the base, meeting with Colonel Phillips and Steve, who were going over another map of HYDRA facilities.

"These are the weapon factories we know about. Sergeant Barnes said that Hydra shipped all the parts to another facility that isn't on this map,"

Colonel Phillips nodded along, turning to look at Peggy and Lottie.

"Agent Carter, coordinate with MI6. I want every Allied eyeball looking for that main Hydra base,"

"And us?" Peggy questioned, looking at her two best friends beside her.

"We are gonna set a fire under Johann Schmidt's ass," He answered, turning to look at Lottie and Steve who had moved to stand together. "What do you say, Rogers, Watson? It's your map, you think you can wipe Hydra off of it?"

Lottie and Steve shared a look, smiles crossing both of their lips as Lottie looked back to the Colonel.

"Yes sir, but we're going to need a team,"

"We're already putting together the best men," Colonel Phillips told them with a wave of his hand, looking back at the map before them. Lottie looked to Steve with a smirk as he stepped up to the Colonel.

"With all due respect, sir, so are we,"