FORTY-NINE

The night sky loomed overhead as Natasha, Lottie, and Steve exited the truck that Steve so casually 'borrowed' from the mall parking lot

The night sky loomed overhead as Natasha, Lottie, and Steve exited the truck that Steve so casually 'borrowed' from the mall parking lot. The remains of the abandoned Camp Lehigh stood before them as they carefully made their way through the gates.

"The file came from these coordinates," Natasha told them, pulling out her scanner to try and pinpoint the exact signal she had tracked.

"So did I. This is the camp where I was trained," Steve told her. Natasha nodded, looking over to Lottie with a raised eyebrow.

"I wasn't trained here, I was a few miles out,"

"Changed much?" Natasha asked Steve.

"A little,"

Lottie went to move after Natasha as she walked away, scanning the area for the signal, but stopped when she turned back to Steve. He stood at the base of the stairs, looking out onto the the path and into the woods. A small smile crossed her lips as she walked up behind him, resting her arms on his shoulders as she stood on the stairs behind him.

"Reminiscing?"

"Kinda, it's weird to be here again..." Steve trailed off for a moment, before looking up at Lottie. "If you had the chance, would you do it over again?"

"What do you mean? As in never join Project Athena?"

"I mean survive the fight," Lottie breath hitched as Steve turned back to her, holding onto her hands now. "Win the fight against Schmidt and go home. Go back to Peggy and Howard."

Lottie was silent for a moment, the question flowing through her head. In all honesty, not once since waking up in that hospital room with Director Fury had she thought of doing it over again, of redoing their last moments. Even now, she didn't have an answer for him.

"I don't know,"

"This is a dead end," Lottie and Steve snapped out of their haze, nodding at one another as they tabled that conversation for later, joining Natasha near the main building. "Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."

Lottie's eyes glanced around the camp, cocking her head at the building that was just ahead of them. Both Natasha and Steve turned to her, waiting for her to speak.

" Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks. That building is in the wrong place,"

The trio quickly moved toward the building across the way. Steve moved ahead of the two women, breaking open the lock on the door with his shield before pulling it open, the trio moving inside of the dark building.

The lights lining the room flickered on one by one, illuminating the faces of the trio. As the lights reached the end, the familiar symbol hung on the wall came to life.

"This is SHIELD," Natasha spoke as they moved through the room.

"Might be where it started,"

Lottie tried to keep her composure as she moved through the room, closely behind Steve and Natasha. Knowing that this was where SHIELD was founded, this was the very place that Howard and Peggy had begun the organization, made Lottie quite emotional.