FOURTEEN

"How many of you ready to help me sock old Adolf on the jaw?"

Lottie sighed as she watched Steve from the sidelines. She knew the second that Senator Brandt said he was sending them to Italy to perform for the troops that it was a horrible idea. Her head was pounding as she thought of every possible outcome of this performance, and unfortunately none of them were good. He head pounded every time she thought to hard about anything, actually.

"Okay. Uh... I need a volunteer."

"I already volunteered! How do you think I got here?"

Lottie couldn't help but roll her eyes at the comments from the soldiers. They were all a bunch of pigs in her eyes.

"Bring back the girls! Get Slate to come dance for us! I'd love to see that ass-"

"Okay, that's enough," Lottie smiled lightly as she watched Steve try to stop the comments of the crowd. She turned her back on the stage, walking away from it as she tried her hardest to ignore their situation.

Charlotte couldn't help the frown on her face as she walked through the camp. Medical tents were full of soldiers, injured from the front lines that were only five miles away. Lottie would give anything to be fighting alongside them, and she knew Steve would, too.

"Lottie!" She stopped in her tracks, looking back with a smile when she notice that it was Steve behind her. He caught up, tugging off his coat and hanging it over Lottie's head as the sky's opened up above them.

"Shouldn't you be on stage?" She questioned her best friend, looking up at him only to see his piercing blue eyes already looking down on her.

"They wanted the girls back. Plus, I didn't see you. Wanted to make sure you were okay,"

"I'm alright, Stevie,"

The pair took their seats underneath a close by tent that held all of their supplies for the show. The rain was pouring down now as the group of soldiers that had been watching the show dispersed back to what they were supposed to be doing.

Lottie was lost in her own thoughts as Steve sat beside her, his sketchpad that Lottie had bought him during their stop in Milwaukee in his hands as he studied her, his hands moving on their own on the paper.

She stole a glance back at Steve, a soft smile crossing her lips as she caught sight of the sketchpad: a drawing of her. She couldn't help the reddening of her cheeks as she looked back to Steve's face, though he wasn't looking at her but at the paper before him

"There's a thousand other things you could draw, Stevie,"

He looked back up at his best friend, the words tumbling from his mouth and his cheeks reddening before he could even think twice.

"But none as beautiful as you,"

Lottie smiled, shifting herself closer to Steve as she laid her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes as she tried to block out the cold around them. Her 'Slate' suit did nothing for warmth. Steve gently leaned over her, grabbing his jacket and draping it across her shoulders as he returned to the drawing.