FORTY-TWO

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?"

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than the two of you,"

Charlotte Watson rolled her eyes, standing beside Steve with her arms crossed. Fury stood by his desk, not even looking over at the two soldiers.

"And you neglected to tell us. That's called lying, Fury," Lottie shot back as Fury finally turned to them.

"I'm not obligated to share anything,"

To say that Lottie and Fury had a rough relationship would be an understatement. Steve was someone who was always on edge, not being adjusted to the 21st century, but he put some of his trust in Fury. Lottie, on the other hand, couldn't find it in her to completely trust him.

She didn't hate the man, far from it. She respected him and what he did for a living, but she didn't respect him for how he handled that job. She had trusted him once she first awoke, but to learn that he had hidden the biggest thing in the world from her, hidden Steve from her, she couldn't find it in her to forgive him. He truly wasn't helping his situation, either, as he only continued to lie to both her and Steve over and over.

"Those hostages could've died, Nick," Steve commented, his hand finding Lottie's to give it a squeeze, hoping that alone would calm her down slightly. Fury only shook his head, walking toward the pair.

"And I sent the two greatest soldiers in history to make sure that didn't happen," his finger pointed to Lottie. "She herself designed the entire mission strategy, I knew it wasn't going to fail."

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. It's not an army if not everyone knows the details-" Lottie shot back, only to get cut off immediately.

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye," Fury's one eye narrowed at the soldiers. "Look, I didn't want you two doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything."

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their owns," Fury looked to Lottie after Steve's statement, and she just shrugged.

"I follow his orders, Fury. Hard to follow his orders when he's having trouble giving them,"

Fury sighed, shaking his head as he took a few steps toward the pair.

"It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all,"

"Except for you,"

Steve and Fury was almost nose to nose, and Lottie was desperately gripping Steve's hand in hopes that he would calm down. She knew these two skated on thin ice, not as much as her and Fury but close, and the last thing she needed was a fight right now.

"You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that,"

Lottie and Steve shared a look as Fury walked past them and out of the office. They chose to follow him directly into the elevator, watching as he hit a button for a floor that Lottie knew neither of them had clearance to.