FORTY

TWO YEARS LATER

TWO YEARS LATER

The incessant beeping of the familiar iPhone alarm rang through the bedroom of the small apartment in Washington DC. Charlotte Watson groaned, attempting to roll over to shut off the alarm, though proven difficult by the arms that kept her locked in place.

She sighed, yet couldn't help the little smile that rested on her face as she rolled around to face the man lying beside her. Her fingers danced over his cheeks as his arms lightened around her waist, sending her into a fit of giggling.

"I know you're awake, Stevie. Your alarm won't shut up,"

"If I turn off the alarm, though, that means I have to get out of bed with you,"

Steve's blue eyes opened, looking down on the woman that laid in his arms. Lottie's head rested on his chest, the sunrise streaming through the curtains illuminating her face as she smiled up at him.

"We wouldn't have this argument every morning if you didn't go on a run at 6 AM,"

"It's not an argument, it's a discussion," Steve leaned down, placing a kiss on her forehead before leaning over her and shutting the alarm off. "Besides, not too many people out at 6 AM, perfect time to run."

"I know, you tell me every morning,"

Lottie sat up in bed, back leaning against the headboard as she watched Steve move about the room, opening the curtains to give them the view of the sunrise. A small smile danced on her lips as she watched him change his clothes for his run. He stole a look back at her, feeling her eyes on him as a smirk overtook his lips. 

"You know, it's not nice to stare. Privacy is a wonderful thing,"

"Why? It's not anything I haven't seen-"

"Okay! Man, you are a mini Tony..."

The woman in bed couldn't help but laugh, watching the red creep up on Steve's cheeks as he shook his head at her, kneeling down to tie up his shoes. Lottie pulled herself from the bed, grabbing her robe from the chair in the corner and throwing it on.

Steve waited by the door, his arm held out to her. Lottie slid her arm through his as the moved out of the bedroom and into the kitchen.

"You could've stayed in bed," Steve told her, taking a glance back at where she sat at the island counter. She already had her laptop pulled out, most likely going through her hundreds of emails while Steve brewed the morning coffee. "What time do you have to meet with Natasha?"

"I believe about 7:30," Lottie answered, writing a quick email back to Fury confirming she'd be at headquarters at 7:30. "We have do go over some paperwork and last minute stuff with Fury before the mission. We'll text you what time we're coming to get you."

"I'll be at the same spot as usual," Steve told her, sliding her a coffee cup as he sipped his own. Lottie thanked him, taking a sip of her drink before sending a quick email back to Tony, who had sent her some specs for a new suit he was working on and wanted her opinion on. "Alright, I should probably get going. I love you."