TWELVE

Charlotte Watson chased after Steve Rogers through the upper levels of the underground SSR base

Charlotte Watson chased after Steve Rogers through the upper levels of the underground SSR base. Steve, with his new enhanced body, was easily far ahead of her, breaking through the front door of the building as she continued to chase after him.

She flew through the front door, just as Steve went crashing into Peggy, knocking her away from the oncoming car that held the man who had killed Erksine.

"I had him!" Peggy called out to Steve, who profusely apologized as he ran away and after the car. Lottie watched as her best friend chased after the car, quickly running to a car parked directly next to the building they were just in. "Lottie, what are you doing?"

"Hot wiring the car, we're going after them," Lottie told her friend without looking up at her. She moved quickly, like it was second nature to her, and quickly got the car running. She gave Peggy a nod, and the two woman quickly got into the car and sped away after the pair.

"We don't even know where they're going!" Peggy reminded Lottie as they sped down the road, Steve and the man no where in sight.

"Erksine talked of Johann Schmidt, about the accident where he took the serum too early," Lottie began to rattle off to her friend, who tried to follow along. "This man was here for the last of the serum, which means he must be an undercover HYDRA operative working on orders of Schmidt. They're smart enough to know that they have no chance of getting away on land or foot, the SSR has too many of their own on the ground monitoring. So if you were a HYRDA operative who needed to get away in the middle of New York, how would you do it?"

"The river," Peggy whispered, piecing everything together. Lottie gave her a nod and a smile, jerking the wheel to the right as they tried their best to speed to the river. Lottie believe that this was only a hunch of her's, that she could be wrong, but Peggy saw through it all. The serum worked better than they ever could have imagined it would. But when she looked at Lottie, she didn't see someone proud and in control. Lottie was scared, she looked like she was in pain. "Lottie, you need to tell me what's going on."

"It's like my brain is moving at a mile a minute," Lottie's breathing was labored as she took another sudden turn, throwing Peggy into the side door slightly. "Every situation my brain thinks of thousands of outcomes and ways to solve the problem and they're all just swirling around my head, banging into my skull."

"Why didn't you ever tell Erksine or Howard about these issues?"

"Because they didn't happen in testing. Those were controlled experiments with controlled outcomes. This is the real deal, these are real situations with thousands of outcomes,"

"Just try to stay calm and breath," Peggy tried to help her friend, not sure what else she could do in this moment to provide comfort. Lottie only nodded her head, and tried to focus on the road before them.

The car came to a lurching stop along a packed side road. Police we're trying to keep a crowd of civilians under control as Lottie and Peggy hopped out of the car and began moving toward the direction that lead to the river. Peggy pulled out her gun, grabbing another one from her waistband and passing it off to Lottie as the pair walked together along the pathway.