SIXTEEN

Charlotte and Steve moved together through the HYDRA base, doing their best to keep quiet and keep from alerting any guards to the fact that they were here

Charlotte and Steve moved together through the HYDRA base, doing their best to keep quiet and keep from alerting any guards to the fact that they were here. Steve kept his shield in front of him as Lottie checked their surroundings, gun at the ready at all times.

"No one has entered or exited from that door," Lottie whispered to Steve as they perched behind a wall. Steve followed her line of sight, giving her a small nod. "That must be where they're keeping their prisoners. They'll have soldiers on guard, so there's no need to enter or exit if you're not on guard."

"Let's go get them, then,"

Steve led the way, taking a shot when there was a clear opening to run for the door. Lottie followed quickly behind, gun at the ready as she double checked their surroundings. Steve held the door open for her, the pair making sure it closed quietly to not alert any guards before they moved along the room.

The prisoners were being housed below them as Steve and Lottie walked along the walkway above them. Lottie held up her hand, gesturing to the two guards who were making small talk and walking in the opposite direction of them. Steve nodded as the pair crept up behind them.

With one knock of the shield, Steve had the guard on the left down and unconscious. Lottie took her chance and swept the feet out from the other guard, the end of her gun coming into contact with his head as he too was knocked out. Steve began to search both guards for their keys while Lottie kept her gun up, keeping and eye on the doors to each end of the hallway.

"Who are you two supposed to be?"

Steve and Lottie looked down into the cell below them, seeing a group of soldiers looking back at them. They quickly looked to one another.

"I'm...Captain America,"

"I'm Slate," Lottie shot back, smiling down at the men who cocked their heads at her comment. She sighed, shaking her head. "I know, not as cool as his."

"...I beg your pardon?"

Once Lottie and Steve had moved the bodies of the guards out of the way, they made their way downstairs and freed all of the captured soldiers from their cells. Each of the soldiers thanked them as they exited their cells, yet still look at the two as if they were from another planet.

"Is there anybody else?" Steve questioned a group of the soldiers, who shook their heads at his question. "We're looking for a Sergeant James Barnes."

"There's an isolation ward in the factory, but no one's ever come back from it."

Lottie and Steve locked eyes, already knowing what they had to do. If there was a chance, even a small sliver of a chance, they had to take it. Lottie loaded her gun, turning to look at the soldiers before them.

"All right. The tree line is northwest, 80 yards past the gate. Get out fast and give 'em hell. We'll meet you guys in the clearing with anybody else we manage to find," Lottie turned around, ready to walk away with Steve, but the soldiers weren't done with them yet.