FIFTY-TWO

"It was him,"

"It was him,"

Lottie was silent as Steve spoke. She sat on the opposite side of the vehicle from him, staring down at her shoes. Natasha was strapped in beside her, Sam strapped in beside Steve as everyone listened to him speak.

"Steve-"

"He looked right at us like he didn't even know us," Lottie cut in, looking up at Sam. He shook his head, looking between the two.

"How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago,"

"Zola," Steve simply said, looking up at Lottie. "When Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. When we found him, he was strapped to that table. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and-"

"None of that is your fault, both of you," Natasha cut in, her voice hoarse as she looked between her two best friends. The two HYDRA agents in the vehicle with them were silent the entire time.

"Even when neither of us had anything, when we needed help, we had Bucky," Lottie said quietly, looking back down to her shoes. She heard the soft groans of Natasha as she looked up, seeing the bleeding getting worse in her shoulder. She looked up at the two agents, her gaze hard. "We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck."

The agent on the left brandished the electric wand toward Lottie for just a second, before throwing it into the side of the other agent. Foot coming up from the ground, it connected with the man's head and knocked him unconcious.

The helmet came off, Maria Hill blowing a piece of hair out of her face as she looked around the vehicle.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain," she took a quick look at Sam. "Who's he?"

"A friend, you got a way out?" Lottie questioned. Maria only smirked, pulling a familiar device out of her coat pocket.

"I believe you and Fury are acquainted with this," she said, aiming the device at the bottom of the truck as it began to cut a hole for them to shimmy through.

◼ ◼ ◼

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint, maybe two!"

The group moved quickly through the underground secret SHIELD base, something else that Steve and Lottie decided was just going to be added to the amount of things that Fury hid from them.

"Let me take her!" The doctor called back, running down the hallway toward them. Maria took a second to look around at all of them before looking to the doctor.

"They'll want to see him, first,"

Lottie cocked her head, everyone following behind Maria and the doctor, who was keeping a close eye on Natasha. Maria pulled back the curtain to one of the rooms, allowing the group in as their eyes widened.