Prologue✨

'You sure you gon' be okay?' he asked me as he came over

'Imma be fine' a sad smile came across my face, huddling myself together

'Look, I promise I'm gonna come visit you one of the holidays' He promised

'So?' I blurted 'most of the time I still won't get to see you and who the fuck knows where the hell I might be'

I've always had this certainty now that DeVante would be gone from me forever, I'll end up in jail, taken to a fostering home or even dead. I had someone I could go to, someone that could protect me, now I gotta do all that shit for myself and the way i'm living at the moment, I might as well be dead.

'Don't say that shit' his hands pressed against my shoulders 'It's bad enough for me to leave you by yourself in the hood making me sick and you can't feel safe without me'

'I know, I shouldn't put that extra stress on you' my head fell down

'Look-' He paused, embracing me into a hug 'you know I love you, imma always love you, fuck I'm in love you. I ain't gonna let anything bad happen to you, imma call you everyday, if any of them try to hurt you, imma have my goons run up on them, even better I run up on them and kill a nigga, I'll-'

'DEVANTE!' I laughed through the tears that were kind of coming out

'What?' He was amused 'I'm doing what a boyfriend does, which is-'

'Shut up and kiss me fool' I cut him off as we shared our last kiss together

As much as he had to go, neither of us wanted to let each other. It was the urge of wanting someone so bad that was in our blood. He was my first for everything we had together and now that I realised I want him and only him for the rest of my life, he just has to go.

Life just isn't fair, isn't it?........

Isn't it?........

Yeah, life just isn't fair, but that's how life works.

It's been a year since I haven't seen him and I knew not to get my hopes up. I wouldn't expect for him to visit anyways, he was sent away because of me. I corrupted him even more.....some may say. His moms never liked me, thought I was too ghetto, too broken, too embarrassed to be around.......didn't really bother me as I'm too familiar with those phrases used by my blood and when I mean blood I mean- I don't even wanna call him that. My moms now, I just wish the best for her and I can meet her someday.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck here, a place where no child should ever wish to end up. Been back and forth foster home to foster home and none of them could keep me in for at least a month. Again I was hearing the same thing I'm too ghetto, too broken, too embarrassed to be around. I can't be mad at them though, I can't even handle myself most of them time, should've let that stray bullet hit me and I would've been much happier up there instead of down here.

My vision started to get cloudy at the very thought of my life going down hill so fast, like what is the actually point? Maybe I could just end it all today, they know I'm suicidal, why the hell would they lock me up in my own room by myself, I ain't gonna hurt no one. Just because they don't allow me to have the pills kept at my nightstand, doesn't mean I can't find anything long to hang myself with.....doesn't it?

Just as I was going to hop of my bed to find something handy, a sudden knock sounded from my door.

'Yes' I replied

'It's your lucky day' one of the supervisors, Nina came in with a happy smile on her face as I just rolled my eyes

Some lady with a daughter the same age as me came in a couple of days ago just to get to know each of the girls in here. I don't know what about me struck her so much that she wants to foster me, does she not know I'm hard to deal with, especially that painful blunt interview I did with her, damn I wouldn't want to foster me.

'Can't I just stay here?' I moaned, getting onto the bed

'Why, don't you want a family?' She asked

'What is the point? Everyone thinks I'm a pain in the ass' I huffed

'No you're not, you just haven't found someone that can connect with you' she sat beside me on the bed

'I connect with you, this place, I'm happier' I confessed

'Kelly dear, I know you might feel this way but you need a family, an education, you have an opportunity to start a new life all over again with a new family, thousands of girls in here wants, don't give that up because of past experiences.'

'I'm happy here though' I said

'Girl no you're not' she instantly got up, putting her hands on her hips 'you are gonna get your ass out of this tiny ass room and start your life again, going onto bigger and better things'

'If I do listen to you, will I be able to write to you?' I asked

'Yes girl, now hurry up and get your happy ass outta here' she ordered making me spring out the bed to start packing

'Yes ma'am' I smiled to myself

.......

I also just want to say thank you ClassyHndrxx for making my book cover