Chapter 16

Kelly Brown- Williams 1993
October ~

Dear Nina,

If you're wondering, I'm not dead......I'm still alive.
Moving to North Carolina was something to get used, as it's far more different from Harlem. Where I am right now, it's more safer, almost boring in a sense as nothing really goes on in my neighbourhood, but I rather go to sleep knowing nothing bad is going to happen to me than thinking every night in Harlem, I was going to get shot or something.

I found myself not opening up as much.......Well at all. I didn't want to let new people into my circle. I spent two months calling my foster mother Christina and my foster sister as Kimberly when I could've called her Kim instead. At the very start, I couldn't let myself call Kim my sister because she was like a stranger to me, like I didn't know who she was and going to different foster homes really affected me connecting to others because of how badly they treated me.

To the new school I go to.......It's a nice environment, but most of the students there seem to be two faced. Like there is one girl that is friends with my sister Kim and I can remember, the first thing she said to me when she met me was 'I was just busy thinking about what DeVante is getting for me'. I knew for a fact that she knew about me and it's always stuck with me because I can tell she feels threatened by him but how can she when DeVante acts as if I'm a stranger.

Also another thing......remember that same boy I used to cry about every single night to you?......yeah he goes to the same school as me and let's just say, the way I wanted to meet him didn't go the way I imagined. He acted as if I was his worse enemy and he still acts as if I'm one today.

Nevertheless, I got to see Dalvin which has grown out of his baby boy ways......a matter of fact he looks way more handsome than DeVante, but that's another story to be told.......
I've also met K-Ci and Jo-Jo which turned out to be brothers, Kayla, Nick and Dylan which is my sister's boyfriend. When you see him......OMG he's so beautiful, he can almost pass for Brad Pitt's twin brother.

But let me tell you something about Nick......he's one of the Finest dark skin brothas I've ever met in my Whole life. His smile always gets to me and when he calls me 'shawty', I act as if I hate it when he calls me that, but really I do enjoy it.

And Kayla, she's just like me. When I first met her, she never liked to be opened with me or anyone to be honest. She found herself at war with nobody but her because she hated her body.....she hated the way she looked because of what others would say, especially her blood. It really saddened me because I could tell she had a body of a goddess, I could see she had mad curves but everyone looked passed that and said she was fat.

I feel like If I don't stop writing, this will turn into a story book. I have so much more to tell you but I don't want to keep you up, so I'll write to you again soon.

Your friend, Kelly xxx

'So what did you put in that letter of yours?' Kim teased me a little as we walked to her car from the post office

'You know, everything that has been going on' I replied as we got into the car

'All positive energy' she nodded her head

'Always, can't have negatives' I said as Kim started up the engine 'I don't want Nina worrying over my ass, like she might think I'm dead because it's taken me two months to write to her' I laughed

'Well thank God that's not the case' Kim agreed with me as she drive off

.........

'Um K-Ci, have you seen Dalvin?' I rushed through the school halls 'I need to talk to him'

'No I haven't, but you know......'

'No K-Ci, not today' I playfully rolled my eyes

'Just trying to lighten the mood, you seem eager or something' He said as I rose my right eyebrow 'look if I see him, I tell him that you needed to talk to him'

'Thank you' I said to him as I continued to rush off

'JEEZ, KELLY SLOW THE FUCK DOWN BEFORE YOU BUMP INTO-!'

'Ow.....watch where the fuck you're going next time!' I said before looking up seeing DeVante as I wanted to regret what I just said

'Me?' He cocked his head back 'you're the one waltzing through the school hall like some motherfucking road runner'

'You have eyes, use them......dickhead' I muttered the last part

'What the fuck did you just call me?' His voice got deeper as he stepped closer to me

Nigga, personal space please......

'You heard me, use those damn satellite dishes of yours!' I spat as his eyes got darker

'I swear to God I will-'

'DeVante, you ain't gonna do shit, back up from her man' all of a sudden K-Ci came as I stepped back away from DeVante

'What the fuck DeVante!' Ashley shouted his name in shock

'Here her stank ass go' K-Ci quietly said to himself as Ashley came along

'It ain't nothing Ash, she bumped into me and she was trying to start shit' DeVante said to her as I wanted to laugh

Is this what we are doing.....snitching to your girlfriend?

'Can you like back off, he doesn't want you' Ashley said to me as it made my blood boil

Who said I was fighting for my ex, he's an ex for a reason.

'As much as you want to, don't do it' K-Ci whispered into my ear

'So If you know that he doesn't want me, why do you feel so threatened by me then?'

.........