Chapter 34

Kelly Brown- Williams 1993
December ~

'Kelly' I heard a knock on my door

'Yes' I said

Christina came and opened the door as she seemed to have been on the phone seconds ago as she still had it in her hand.

I didn't say you could come in.

'What happened at school today?' She asked as she made herself comfortable on my bed

'Nothing' I simply said wanting her to stop bothering me

'I got a phone call from school that you got into a fight with one of Kim's friend Ashley today' she said

'So if you knew what happened at school, why would you ask me then?' I asked

'Kelly, please don't get hard headed with me' I had nothing to say 'You got suspended'

'What!' I was shocked 'for how long?'

'Two weeks' she plainly said as she got up

'That's not fair......' I said processing everything that I'm hearing

'Life isn't fair' Christina walked out

Wait so I got suspended? I got suspended for putting someone in their fucking place......

'Kelly-'

'Get out' I said calmly as I saw Kim enter my room

'What?' She was puzzled

'You heard me, GET OUT!' I got angrier

'Kelly what's going on?,what have I done?' She walked further into my room asking questions

'You need to choose wisely between me or Ashley' I got up from my bed

'Kelly I know things between you two are-'

'No!' I stopped her 'From the first moment I came to Bradford and she decided to throw in that sly comment, you should've checked her ass then or I wouldn't be in this predicament. It's as soon as I check her ass- I checked her real hard and now my ass is suspended for two weeks because of you. You knew I had problems with Ashley and if I didn't tell you, you probably could've sensed it but you wanna save your fucking friendship with a bitch that hates on me for no fucking reason. You are quick to take me in as a sister but you don't even have the qualities of being one. That's why I can't trust anyone new that comes into my life......like I don't know if you have my back or not-'

I sat back on the bed not knowing what to say next. I could feel a huge knot in my throat as I struggled to get the next few words out of my mouth. Melancholy tears trickled down my face quickly as I didn't care what state I was in. I wanted Kim to see how I felt and how she managed to get me in this position.

'What did she say?' Kim sounded guilty and sad

'She called me a hoodrat and said you and Christina felt sorry for my poor ghetto ass' I sobbed 'Do you guys really think of me like that?'

'No, why would you ever-'

'I don't know Kim, why would I ever believe anything She says......' I said sarcastically 'All my life I've heard people calling me ghetto. DeVante's mom called me ghetto, my Father that I'm ashamed of called me ghetto, the foster homes I've been to, all of them called me ghetto. They think I'm just some hoodrat bitch that grew up on the streets her whole life and I know I have more to bring than just a street girl, just trying to figure out what is the more I have.......'

'Well-' Kim came to sit on the bed beside me '-I know for a fact that you're not ghetto, yes you are a little rough around the edges, but you are definitely not ghetto. You are so much more than a street girl.......look at you getting the lead part in Romeo and Juliet, do you know how far you can get with acting? Plus look how beautiful you are, you know how many guys at school be acting crazy when they see your melanin glowing?......you can pass as a model, be the next Noami Campbell. Sometimes we gotta zone out other people's opinions on how they perceive us, Fuck what they say. You know who you are, they don't and if they wanna say this and that about you, one day, they'll be sorry they ever utter a negative word to you.'

Kim paused 'I'm truly sorry that I've put you in this situation. You know, I've never had sibling before, so I'm learning..........'

Kim was babbling on and on and on. Don't get me wrong, I know the advice and the pep talk is good and everything, but shut up and let me talk sometimes.

'Kim-' I paused '-Stop talking'

'Why, What did I do?'

'Look I have no right to be saying that you don't have the qualities of being a sister because I don't have any siblings myself' I explained to her 'but I just want you to know that if we are going to be sisters, because it looks like I'm staying here for a while, I just want you to know who comes first. Not saying that you have to end your friendship with Ashley, but as my sister, you need to set her boundaries when it comes to me. I'm not asking you to fight my battles all time because I damn well know I can do it myself, but just prevent situations, like the one that happened today.'

.........