| 61 | intoxicated

Daisy feels a rush of adrenaline as the music gets louder and louder. Her body is swaying to the tempo and her hands are in her hair as she gets lost in the crowd of sweaty people. Nothing mattered anymore, not the alcohol in her system, not the ache in her chest, not her ex boyfriend and his whereabouts.

All she cares about tonight is the music and her body as she dances her heart out to her favorite song. Once the song is over she still dances her way to the bar and takes another shot. Maybe her twelfth one so far. The bartender hadn't even asked her for her ID because she was a pretty girl, and pretty girls didn't need an ID for a few harmless shots of alcohol.

She continues to drink and dance and drink and dance and drink and dance.

Daisy is having the time of her life, not caring or worrying about a thing. She is extremely carefree and content as she gets lost in the music letting her body sway with the rhythm. But it isn't until she sees a bulky man heading towards her that her freedom is taken away from her. 'You're coming with me.' He says and he grabs her by the arm and yanks her out of the crowd. At first she doesn't recognize him. But then as she takes a closer look snd she realizes it's Kaden. Her extremely overprotective older brother.

'God. When Skylar told me you were here I thought she was messing with me. I can't believe you.' He says still dragging his sister out of the club. Once they have made it outside he turns around to take a good look at her and his face grows even more mad.

'Are you drunk?' He says grabbing his sisters shoulders and studying her face. She wore a goofy smile, and she reeked of alcohol. The smell made his stomach churn because alcohol and his little sister didn't go well together.

'Maybe.' Daisy says, letting out a giggle. It had been a while since she had giggled, or laughed, or smiled. Or done anything of that sort. Therefore, Kaden was now more than sure that she was completely intoxicated.

'You're drunk.' He says letting go of her shoulders and putting his hands behind his neck. He was nervous, so nervous because he knew Daisy well enough to know that she hated alcohol. She despised it.

She hated the smell of it, the feel of it, the whole idea of it. She hated what it did to her brother. How addicted Harvey was to it. And she always steered clear of it because she was afraid she would become addicted to it herself. And tonight, as Kaden stood before his younger and very intoxicated sister. He was filled with worry because what if she got addicted to it too?

'We need to get you back home.' He says reaching for Daisy's hand and clasping it in his own so he can lead her to the car. But Daisy shoves her hand away and shakes her head.

'I don't want to go home.' She pouts. 'I want to have fun. I haven't had fun in a long time.' She tells Kaden hoping that he will understand and let her go back into the club and have a few more drinks. But Kaden shakes his head letting out a painful sigh.

He inches closer towards her. 'This isn't fun Daisy. This is how addictions start.' he knew Daisy had an alcohol problem, the only time she ever tried alcohol was a few years ago at a high school party and she ended up in the bathroom throwing it all up. Daisy wouldn't admit it but Skylar said she drank a whole bottle of vodka. And that was only her first time trying alcohol.

After that day she didn't trust herself around it, and she tried to keep away from it her whole life. But tonight it seemed she had done the complete opposite. 'I'm not an addict. I'm just letting loose.' She says, her words slurring and as she tries to head back inside she staggers forward and almost trips.

'No. You're not letting loose you're drinking away your problems.' Kaden says louder than he intends to. Daisy's goofy smile turns into a frown as she turns around to look at him. 'Instead of moving on from your breakup with Timothée you're drowning your sorrows in alcohol. This isn't fun Daisy, It's tragic.'

Daisy doesn't say a word, a second ago all she could think about was music, and alcohol and a crowd of people dancing their hearts out and how badly she wanted to be apart of that crowd. But once those words escaped her brother she decided that maybe this really was too dangerous for her. Maybe she really was like Harvey, and this might turn into an addiction that she won't be able to recover from.

So she reaches for Kaden's hand and smiles slightly, not a goofy smile. A genuine smile. 'Take me home.' She says and Kaden nods. She lets him hold her hand and lets him drag her all the way to his car so he can drive her back home.

***

Days go by like years for Timothée.

He can't forget about her, about what he did to her and how badly he must have hurt her. It's been a hard few weeks. Especially because he hasn't uttered a word to her since their encounter at her apartment, when she shoved past him and slammed the door in his face. It was brutal. But he took it. Because it was what he deserved.

It's been hard to forget about her. Daisy has been everywhere lately. She has been doing interviews about the scandal. She's been on Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, James Cordon. And all the other talk shows you can name off the top of your head.

Timothée has to constantly see her on his television sometimes purposely because he will specifically turn on the t.v to see her, but other times it will be unintentional and he'll find her face on his t.v screen or on his instagram feed or sometimes on a huge billboard in New York City.

She is constantly asked about the scandal, about where she was when it all happened, about how she found out. Timothée expected her to tell the story, of how he stormed into her apartment that they sometimes shared and raged at her about trust and about her being a cheater and a liar.

But no, she didn't tell that story, she would tell a much nicer story. That didn't make him out to be a monster. 'I was in my apartment.' She'd say which was true. 'I was reading a book when someone came over and told me the news.' That was also true.

The interviewer would ask. 'Who was it that told you?' Trying to pry the truth out of her, but Daisy wouldn't flinch. She wouldn't batt her eyelids, she wouldn't even react in any sort of way. She would just grin slightly and mutter two simple words.

'A friend.' She'd say. As if she had rehearsed it a thousand times. And maybe she had. 'Just a friend. He told me about the pictures and I was very confused because I knew that wasn't me, but the pictures were pretty real.' She'd tell the same story over and over again.

It must have been brutal, especially having to lie. Because Timothée knew that if it were any other girl in her place who got hurt so badly by him, she would have been on that couch in front of that talk show host telling them all about how Timothée Chalamet barged into her apartment and called her a cheater.

But not Daisy, of-course not Daisy.

She was too kind, too pure, too loyal of a human being to do such a horrible thing. And Timothée felt like such a fool for not trusting her.

He should have trusted her.