𝟕 : 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐈 (rewriting)

s t el·e·va·tion my·o·car·di·al in·farc·tion
/əz tē ˌeləˈvāSH(ə)n mīəˌkärdēəl inˈfärkSH(ə)n/
the most severe form of the 2 types of heart attack. see also NSTEMI. a STEMI produces a characteristic elevation in the ST segment on an electrocardiogram

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

It had been a week since Jungkook had become a part of Taehyung's surgical team.

And, dear god, he hated every moment of it.

Jungkook fell into his office chair, too tired to move or do anything. He reached across his desk to the food he left there, digging through his bag in hopes of finding something he could quickly snack on, but ultimately coming across nothing. He sighed knowing that his lack of snacks, and more specifically banana milk, would only make his mood more sour than it already was.

Which meant another long conversation with the one and only Kim Taehyung.

The man seemed so entitled, even at times going as far as making comments about Jungkook's poor attitude. And Jungkook hated it. Hated how entitled and stuck-up Taehyung was.

What made the whole situation even worse was how Taehyung wasn't much older than Jungkook. In fact, he had accomplished even more than Jungkook had, and was only two years older than the boy. And a day like this, with Chanyeol out on vacation, meant Taehyung had free reign over the hospital.

Jungkook was snapped out of his hate-on-Kim-Taehyung trance when horrifying words came out loudly over the pager in his office.

"Code Blue, Recovery Room. Code Blue, Recovery Room..."

Jungkook shot up from his seat and quickly grabbed a few files and ran out of the room, rushing down the hallway of the hospital to the recovery room. The last place he wanted to be in after finishing a surgery.

He stumbled into the recovery room, seeing a team of nurses surrounding a single cot in the large room. He rushed over to the cot and looked down at the patient, recognizing him as the man he had operated on not too long ago.

"What's going on?" chimed the last voice Jungkook wanted to hear at a moment like this. He felt so stressed, feeling tears prick at the corners of his eyes for never being put in a situation like this before.

"Dr. Park's patient went into cardiac arrest, Mr. Jeon, you have to do something quickly," one of the nurses said, looking directly at Jungkook, fear lacing his tone and eyes.

Jungkook was at a loss, looking back and forth between the nurses and his patient. "I... I, um..."

"He went into cardiac arrest... a heart attack! God, dammit! Jungkook, you let a blood clot form?" Taehyung called out, turning Jungkook by his shoulders to face him. Jungkook felt a tear threaten to fall out of his eye, and it did, quickly slipping down his face but not avoiding Taehyung's prying eyes.

A woman and two little kids ran into the recovery room and up to Jungkook's patient. "My... My husband! What the hell did you do to him?!" She yelled, grabbing the attention of everyone in the room.

"I..." Jungkook mumbled, not knowing what to say or do. He stood there, almost frozen, before Taehyung spoke up and took control of the situation.

"Ma'am, your husband went into cardiac arrest. I need your permission to take control over the situation so we can increase his chances of survival," Taehyung spoke, voice smooth and calm even though he was under a large amount of pressure.

"Yes—you have my permission or whatever, just please! Save my husband!" She yelled, tears beginning to fall off her face. Her children looked frightened by the whole situation and saw a few people come to take the small family out of the room.

Taehyung began to move around quickly, ordering people around and telling them where to go. The patient was quickly moved into the operating room and Jungkook was almost left standing in the recovery room if it weren't for Taehyung motioning for him to come as well.

The patient was moved onto the bed in the operating room and was immediately hooked up to wires. Taehyung walked in and had the nurse put on his gloves, then stood by the patient and looked directly at Jungkook.

"Scalpel."

Jungkook looked at him for a moment before realizing what Taehyung was asking of him. He snapped back into reality and passed Taehyung the scalpel with shaky hands. Taehyung gave him a look but continued with the surgery anyways, pressing into the patient's skin and cutting a line down his chest evenly.

But he didn't draw any blood.

Jungkook and the rest of the surgical team looked around the room in shock. Jungkook glanced at the patient's vitals and saw how his heart was still beating and he was still breathing steadily. So how did—

"Don't look so shocked. The human body is symmetrical. If you cut directly in the middle, you won't draw blood. Saw," Taehyung said, continuing with the surgery as if nothing had happened.

"The saw, Jungkook," Taehyung said, looking up from the patient and at Jungkook. Jungkook only nodded and handed Taehyung the saw, forgetting to check it before it got into Taehyung's hands.

"Shit. Namjoon," Taehyung said, turning to the aforementioned and away from the patient, "Call Min Yoongi into here." Namjoon nodded curtly and Jungkook looked confused at everything that was happening.

"Jungkook, step back from the patient."

"W-What?" Jungkook asked, hands shaky and feeling defeated. Taehyung looked down at the boy and began to check the saw himself. "You're not in the right mindset to participate in a surgery."

Suddenly, Min Yoongi walked into the room and walked over to Jungkook, giving him a look as if he was expecting the boy to move out of the way so he could continue with the surgery. Jungkook looked at him for a second before stepping back from the patient and watching Yoongi and Taehyung continue with the surgery as if nothing had happened. Jungkook turned on his heels, ready to walk out of the operating room until Taehyung stopped him.

"You're not allowed to leave the operating room until the surgery's done, Jeon," Taehyung called out over the noise of the saw cutting through the patient's sternum. Jungkook looked around at the rest of the surgical team, feeling hurt and absolutely crushed.

"K-Kooks, he's right..." Jimin said from his position, immediately looking away when Jungkook caught his stare.

Jungkook nodded lowly, putting his head down and standing in the corner of the operating room as the surgery continued.

Without him.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

a/n: wow did i update early