𝟏 : 𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐔𝐌

ep·i·car·di·um
/ˌepəˈkärdēəm/
a serous membrane that forms the innermost layer of the pericardium and the outer surface of the heart

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

tw: brief description of surgery
if that makes you uncomfortable, please proceed with caution!

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Beep!

Beep!

Beep!

"Shit."

Jungkook groaned, rolling over onto his side and tapping incessantly at his phone screen. Hitting randomly at the cool glass, he let out a cool sigh when the shrill ringing stopped. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and sat up with a groan.

Stretching with a yawn and the pop of a few bones, he stared blankly at the wall in front of him. White walls of the on-call room stared back. Sterile. Cold.

Jungkook wasn't surprised. It was a hospital.

Silence shrouded his body and he finally let the tendrils of sleep gently let go of his body. As blood began to run faster through his veins, he felt it rush up to his cheeks when he realized the words that had slipped from his mouth. Thankfully, no one else was present in the on-call room to have heard him curse.

Jungkook rose from the cheap cot, hurriedly grabbing his belongings and rushing briskly from the on-call room. Polished shoes clacked against the cool tile floors and he jogged to his office, squealing when a few important documents flew from his grasp. He ignored the impertinent stares of his colleagues and collected the documents and himself off the floor.

The office door swung closed behind him and the other employees' eyes flew to him. Jungkook let out a stale breath and sat down at his desk, pushing glasses up on the bridge of his nose and cracking his knuckles before embarking on his work.

He paid no second thought to the mindless prattle of the other nurses and technicians in the room, opting to focus on the heavy, but slowly dwindling, stack of papers in front of him. Besides, his coworkers never paid him any mind and he definitely was not going to be the first to extend the offer.

Sleep tugged at his eyes, but Jungkook shook his head forcefully and took a sip of cold coffee. At the moment, he needed to prepare for the surgery within the next few days. Sleep... could wait.

"Jungkook!"

His eyes shot up to the voice in the doorway.

"Dr. Kim!" Jungkook bounced from his seat and tripped into a bow, blushing at being caught by surprise and his arguably over-the-top reaction.

The roar of the office silenced the moment Namjoon's heeled shoes hit the tiled floor. Jungkook glanced around nervously, rising out of his bow and watching Namjoon pace toward him.

"How... How can I help you today?" Jungkook squeaked, wishing he had given himself time to straighten out not himself but his hair. His eyes stayed trained to the ground, unable to look at Namjoon head-on. Namjoon threw him one of his dazzling smiles and motioned for Jungkook to sit back down, taking his own seat across the desk.