𝟏𝟑 : 𝐂𝐀𝐁𝐆 (rewriting)

cor·o·nar·y ar·ter·y by·pass graft·ing
/ˈkôrəˌnerē ˈärdərē ˈbīˌpas graˌftēng/
a type of surgery that improves blood flow to the heart

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

<surgery warning>

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

"Good morning, Jungkook," Taehyung said as he walked into Jungkook's shared office. He took a seat across from Jungkook and put a stack of papers onto the desk.

"Here's the information for the surgery tomorrow and I came to explain it to you in greater detail," Taehyung said, shifting around in his seat to get more comfortable. Jungkook nodded slowly and began to fumble around with the stack of papers on his desk.

"The patient has severe coronary artery disease, as to why it's a CABG. But the patient also has a history of breathing problems and lung issues, so a heart-lung machine might not be the best way to go, but we'll start with that anyways," Taehyung said, receiving a concerned look from Jungkook.

"The patient won't survive it," Jungkook said rather bluntly. Taehyung looked shocked—Jungkook was a surgical assistant—and tried to quickly regain his composure. "Well, of course there's a chance for the patient to not make it through the surgery, but there's also a high chance that—"

"Why did you agree to do the surgery if you know that the patient probably won't survive?" Jungkook asked, placing down the papers and looking up at Taehyung. Taehyung's eyebrows only furrowed together at Jungkook's sudden disrespect.

"It's just a waste of time and money. And if the patient dies on the table, who knows what the family will do," Jungkook said, confidence flowing out of him like never before. Taehyung only stared back in disbelief, unable to completely express how he felt.

"What do you mean it's only a waste of time? Is saving someone's life a waste of time to you, Jungkook?" Taehyung asked, anger dripping from his words and contorting in his facial expression. Jungkook stayed quiet, honestly afraid to say anything to further anger Taehyung.

"I've already agreed to do the surgery. I can't just say no the day before the surgery and drop everything just like that," Taehyung said, standing up from the chair and heading out of Jungkook's shared office.

Jungkook glanced around the office quickly, catching the stares of the other employees in the room. Most of them quickly looked down, avoiding Jungkook's stare and choosing to sit in silence instead. Yet one person held his gaze and only shook his head.

He recognized that man as Yoongi. From back when the employees were nagging him about the bakery ordeal.

Jungkook tore his stare away from Yoongi and rushed out of the office, trying to find Taehyung. He found Taehyung in his office, sitting down and scanning through papers and through his computer, probably preparing for the surgery tomorrow.

"Why are you doing it?" Jungkook asked, breaking the silence that had so densely settled over the room. Taehyung looked up from his pile of papers and stared back at Jungkook.

"You think that a good surgeon is one that has never failed a surgery before, Jungkook. But a good surgeon is one that will still do the surgery, even though he knows the patient will die."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Jungkook was super stressed out.

Taehyung had barely cut through the patient's sternum and Jungkook's heart rate was already through the roof. Taehyung seemed extremely calm, occasionally glancing at the patient's vitals but nonetheless continuing with the surgery.

Jungkook passed the scalpel to Taehyung, watching him quickly remove a vein from the chest and place it aside to later connect to the heart. Taehyung looked at Jungkook and Jungkook handed him the plastic tubes connecting to the heart-lung machine. Taehyung attached them securely to the patient's heart. "Start up the heart-lung machine," Taehyung said, speaking to Hoseok and watching the patient's heart stop slowly.

Taehyung began to work quickly, looking at the coronary arteries around the patient's heart for any sign of blockage. Jungkook saw how quickly he had assessed the patient's health and felt shocked. He would have taken another minute or so to do so. Taehyung must've had a ton of experience.

Taehyung began to attach the vein to the aorta, working quickly but with extreme accuracy. He was about to move away from the patient's aorta but Hoseok quickly stopped him.

"The patient isn't getting enough oxygen. I think it's because of the aortic calcification," Hoseok said, speaking up in the room and causing Taehyung to look around frantically.

"Shit, you're right. I think we have to take the patient off the heart-lung machine," Taehyung said, moving the vein away from the heart so that he could take the patient off the heart-lung machine.

"Taehyung, are you insane? You can't do that in the middle of a surgery," Jungkook said, seeing Taehyung's head quickly snap to look at him with his hands on the tubes connecting to the patient's heart.

"You don't know that Jungkook," Taehyung said and took the patient off the heart-lung machine. Jungkook was shocked and quickly handed Taehyung the defibrillator to get the patient's heart beating again.

"Looks like this is an off-pump CABG now," Taehyung joked around, going back to work now that the patient's heart was beating. "Make sure you keep an eye on the patient's EKG, Hoseok," Taehyung said, attempting to connect the vein to the patient's aorta.

He did—much to Jungkook's relief—and quickly cauterized the wound to prevent an even bigger mess than the one they were just in. Taehyung quickly connected the vein to a coronary artery—below the blockage, of course—and cauterized that as well. The patient's heart was still beating steadily and everyone let out a sigh of relief.

Taehyung and Jungkook began to stitch up the patient's chest. The sternum had been fixed and all that was left was for Jungkook to put in the last few sutures.

"Told you the surgery would be a success, Jungkook," Taehyung said, and Jungkook knew that under his mask lie a teasing smirk. Jungkook rolled his eyes and glared playfully at the man before stitching up the patient's chest.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Taehyung," he said, not realizing until now how nice the man's name sounded coming from his lips. Taehyung laughed and walked out of the room.

Jungkook's heart fluttered knowing that he was the one that caused the beautiful laugh to slip past Taehyung's lips.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

a/n: wow another double update