𝟏𝟒 : 𝐌𝐘𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐔𝐌 (rewriting)

my·o·car·di·um
/ˌmīəˈkärdēəm/
the muscular tissue of the heart

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

<surgery warning>

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Jungkook sat quietly in his shared office, sorting through files when Taehyung quickly ran inside. Jungkook looked up from his papers with a confused expression. Taehyung came over to him and slammed his hands on the desk, startling the other employees but more importantly Jungkook.

"Get off your ass, Jeon. We have a surgery to do," Taehyung said, staring down at Jungkook. It was clear that Taehyung was beyond pissed for whatever reason, and Jungkook definitely did not want to anger him further.

Jungkook quickly got up from his chair and followed Taehyung out of the room. He opened his mouth to ask about why they were suddenly doing a surgery, but Taehyung beat him to it.

"Our patient went into cardiac arrest before arriving at the hospital, and after glancing through his records, he has had heart issues in the past," Taehyung said, running into the locker rooms with Jungkook and quickly stripping out of his clothes into his scrubs.

Jungkook nodded, turning away and getting dressed himself to try and avoid Taehyung's glorious back. "The chairman asked me to do the surgery since Dr. Park and the other surgeon are both in surgery right now," Taehyung continued, throwing his top on and rushing out of the room, dragging a half-dressed Jungkook with him.

"We have to do a SAVER surgery, but even then the patient has a very low chance of surviving. I doubt he'll make it out alive," Taehyung said, rushing through the hospital towards the operating room, still dragging along Jungkook by his hand.

Jungkook was so focused on holding Taehyung's hand in the moment that he wasn't listening until Taehyung said "SAVER". "T-Taehyung, this hospital doesn't do SAVER because it's never been successful, and I haven't participated in a surgery like that—"

"Guess there's a first time for everything, Jungkook," Taehyung said as he ran into the operating room to get ready. Jungkook was left standing alone in front of it and ran inside himself, beginning to prepare for the surgery.

When Taehyung finally walked into the operating room, Jungkook walked in to stand next to the patient. He looked up at Taehyung who nodded and quickly glanced at the patient's vitals.

"Scalpel."

Jungkook handed the scalpel to Taehyung and watched Taehyung cut down the middle of the patient's chest. Jungkook watched what Taehyung was doing and noticed something about the patient. Jungkook's eyes widened and tears threatened to fall so he spoke up.

"W-What type of surgery are we doing again?" He asked, voice quavering ever so slightly.

Taehyung didn't even bother to glance up from his work, now holding his hand out for the saw. "SAVER, Jungkook. And pass me the saw—"

"What was the patient's chance of survival?"

Taehyung looked up from the patient and directly at Jungkook. "Extremely low. I doubt he'll make it out—"

"You can't do this surgery," Jungkook said, glancing at the tattoo on the patient's—on Yugyeom's collarbone. "Please, Taehyung, he'll die," Jungkook said, tears beginning to spill out of his eyes.

"He'll die if we just leave him the way he is, Jungkook," Taehyung said with anger, reaching over to grab the oscillating saw. "You can't let your fucking emotions get the best of you, Jeon," Taehyung said, and he cut through Yugyeom's sternum.

Jungkook tried to blink back tears and continued to do his job, terrified for what could happen to Yugyeom. He had a feeling in his gut, as if he knew this was the last time he would ever see Yugyeom. He remembered all the good times they had together and how they so easily bonded over cups of coffee.

Cups of coffee.

Jungkook felt utterly stupid. The dumbest being on this planet. How could he not have realized? The last time they went out for coffee, Yugyeom was having chest pains. He was complaining about feeling lightheaded and dizzy.

Jungkook was just shocked that Yugyeom hadn't gotten sick sooner.

"Shit!" Taehyung yelled out, snapping Jungkook out of his daze. Jungkook looked down to see blood splatter across Taehyung's scrubs. He heard Yugyeom's heart rate flat lining and felt the terror hovering over the operating room. But the worst part was the pool of blood gathering in Yugyeom's chest cavity.

Jungkook wanted to cry and stood there frozen, not knowing how to help since this wasn't his type of surgery and thinking it was really over for his best friend. He watched Taehyung freak out, dropping the scalpel somewhere and instead plunging his hands into Yugyeom's chest, feeling around his heart. Trying to stop the bleeding.

Everything immediately caught up to Jungkook. His friend was lying in front of him, dying. Who knows the amount of pain he was going through even though he was full of anesthesia. "No..." Jungkook mumbled, seeing Yugyeom's skin paler than ever before.

"Shit, shit, shit, the bleeding's not stopping," Taehyung mumbled, curse words slipping not so gracefully out of his mouth. "The warfarin, Dr. Kim," Jimin said, speaking up over all of the commotion.

"Jungkook, get an electric shock ready," Taehyung said, moving his hands out of the way for Jungkook to place the two pieces of metal down.

"Clear."

Jungkook looked up at Yugyeom's vitals and saw how his heart still wasn't beating. This can't be happening, he thought looking at Taehyung before taking the defibrillator away from him.

"Clear!" Jungkook said loudly, waiting for the electric shock to start up Yugyeom's heart again, but nothing happened. He looked at Taehyung again before looking at Yugyeom and feeling more tears spill out of his eyes. "Clear!" He yelled again, voice cracking. But nothing happened.

Yugyeom was gone.

"Time of death, 11:38 AM," Hoseok said, putting his head down and walking out of the room with the other nurses. Jungkook stood there with his hands in Yugyeom's chest, not wanting to leave his friend once and for all.

Jungkook set the defibrillator aside and shoved his own hands into Yugyeom's chest, wrapping his hands around his heart and trying to manually pump it. Nothing happened, Yugyeom's heart rate stayed flat and more tears fell from Jungkook's eyes.

"Jeon, cut it out," Taehyung said, trying to move Jungkook's hands away from Yugyeom. "No! Please, there has to be something we can do!" he cried, trying to get Yugyeom's heart to beat again.

Taehyung rushed around Yugyeom and pulled Jungkook away from his lifeless body and into his own chest. Jungkook sobbed, gripping onto Taehyung's scrubs which were covered in his best friend's blood while listening to the monotone noise of Yugyeom's heart without its beat.

He should've done something when he had the chance.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

a/n: shoving your hand into someone's chest and trying to manually pump their heart isn't a legit thing as far as i know
i just saw it in a drama and thought it looked intense and was like: i'm using this now