𝟓 : 𝐅𝐋𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 (rewriting)

flut·ter
/ˈflədər/
disturbance of the rhythm of the heart that is less severe than fibrillation

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Jungkook was seated next to Chanyeol, picking at an expensive-looking lobster that someone in one of the many departments offered to order for him. The hospital staff were all dispersed amongst different tables in the banquet hall, eating and chatting amongst themselves and... swarming around Taehyung.

Jungkook couldn't be bothered to actually speak with the man, after all, he had completely messed up his first impression with the man. So he instead chose to sit next to Chanyeol, idly nodding along to whatever conversation he was having with one of his co-workers.

He poked around at his lobster, taking small bites of it but at the same time not really knowing how to eat it—he wasn't a part of the high society like most of the doctors here were—and occasionally sipping from the glass of wine Chanyeol got him.

He began to eat more comfortably, tuning out the loud noise of the banquet hall and just keeping to himself, the other hospital employees not talking to him anymore. He wasn't really complaining, he grew accustomed to the silence and alienation he experienced at the hospital. He was sitting quietly when he felt another large... presence beside him and looked up from his food.

"Oh, Taehyung! Glad you decided to join us!" Chanyeol announced, shifting everyone's attention to the man that was sitting next to Jungkook. Jungkook turned and looked at him, feeling his face flush a bit when he saw the man staring intently back at him. Jungkook looked away quickly, busying himself with his wine and lobster.

"Of course, Dr. Park. I felt obligated to make my rounds to each table, and why wouldn't I stop and speak with the man who runs the department I know work in?" Taehyung chuckled, tearing his eyes away from Jungkook and looking at the people at the table.

The table was filled with different department heads and accomplished surgeons in the hospital. And of course, Jungkook was seated there as well. He hasn't spoken with Jimin since the boy ran off when they walked into the building, and Jungkook thought it would be pathetic for him to go looking for him now.

"I'm hoping you've already met Jungkook, correct?" Chanyeol asked, snapping Jungkook out of his daze and back into the conversation they were having. Jungkook nodded and listened to Taehyung him in response to the question, seeing how he shifted in his seat and began moving closer to Jungkook.

"Yes I did actually," Taehyung said, setting down his wine glass and picking up his fork and taking an uneaten bowl of salad from Jungkook. "He was the first one I tried talking to when I walked into the restaurant."

Chanyeol chuckled and Jungkook felt so embarrassed at this moment in time. "Tried talking to?" Chanyeol asked, to which Taehyung nodded and laughed along as well. "Ah, you see, Jungkook here isn't very talkative at times and can come off as—"

"E-Excuse me, sir. I'm going to the bathroom," Jungkook interrupted, standing up abruptly and quietly excusing himself, not daring to look back at he table behind him.

He rushed through the mass of employees, catching small fragments of conversations, but hearing him being talked bad about nonetheless. He just wanted to get out of that situation in that moment.

Jungkook finally made his way out of the banquet hall and ended up scrambling to the front desk, in search of a bathroom. He walked around the restaurant awkwardly, catching weird stares from different customers and diners before he decided to walk back to the banquet hall, too afraid to ask the hostess where the restroom was.

He walked back into the banquet hall, pushing the doors open actually pretty slowly and seeing Chanyeol stand up and tap on a wine glass, attempting to get everyone's attention. Jungkook heard the room quiet down significantly and rushing back to his seat quietly, nose scrunching up slightly when he saw his Taehyung was still sitting next to him.

"I'm sure you all know who Kim Taehyung is now, since he is very good at introductions," Chanyeol said and Jungkook felt a low pang in his heart, knowing that the comment was only made to belittle him more. "But I would like to ask everyone to congratulate and welcome our newest member to the Cardiology Department, Kim Taehyung!"

The employees burst out into applause and—in the corner of his eye because why would Jungkook ever look at Taehyung longer than he needed to—saw a boxy smile make its way onto Taehyung's face. Taehyung waved but didn't bother standing up, watching Chanyeol continue with whatever he was talking about.

"Staring won't give you the power to see through my clothes."

...What?

Jungkook snapped out of his little trance and stared at Taehyung with a baffled look on his face. Had he really heard him correctly? He didn't even notice that he was staring and the fact that Taehyung made a comment like that... Jungkook began to feel the heat creeping onto his face and responded with the only thing he was good at.

"It's not like I wanted to see what's underneath your clothes anyways," Jungkook said, feeling heat rise to his face again and cringing internally at how weak of a comeback that was. Taehyung only chuckled and turned to look at Chanyeol who was still speaking.

Jungkook's life was definitely going to get a lot harder with Taehyung around.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

a/n: late update oops