𝟑𝟏 : 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐎𝐈𝐃𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐒 (rewriting)

sar·coid·o·sis
/ˌsärˌkoiˈdōsis/
a chronic disease of unknown cause characterized by the enlargement of lymph nodes in many parts of the body and the widespread appearance of granulomas derived from the reticuloendothelial system

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Taehyung walked down the halls of the hospital, feeling exhausted and bored. He had gotten into a cycle of spending all of his time with Jungkook and hadn't been spending much time at his own home. He only went there when the nurses kicked him out of the ICU and it was late enough for him to decide to sleep.

He passed by a vending machine in the hallway and stopped, pulling out a few bills to get a bag of chips before he headed to Jungkook's room. He pressed a random button and the bag of chips fell, probably breaking all the contents that waited inside. Not really looking, he picked up the bag of chips and headed to the ICU.

He went to check in with the nurse and stood there while he got signed in, fingers itching to open his bag of chips. The nurse saw the bag and opened her mouth to speak, but stayed silent when Taehyung placed the bag on the counter beside him.

"I'll get them when I'm done visiting," Taehyung said lowly, his voice sounding more bored and monotone than ever. The nurse closed her mouth and nodded, watching as Taehyung made his way to Jungkook's room.

"Hey, Jungkookie," Taehyung greeted, making his way over to sit beside Jungkook again. He looked at the boy and frowned, not being able to imagine staying immobile and practically frozen for so long. Jin had been talking about planning to wake Jungkook up soon, considering the two-week marker for his unconsciousness was coming up and he wanted to get the boy out of it as soon as possible.

"The mean old nurse at the desk in front didn't let me bring my chips in here," Taehyung laughed, mostly to himself. Part of him was hoping that Jungkook was listening to all of the words that spilled from Taehyung's mouth, but he knew it wasn't likely.

Still, he kept talking to the boy just in case he was actually listening.

Taehyung hated how Jungkook wasn't able to respond to him. How the car accident had left him so helpless and vulnerable, that he was currently confined to a bed in a hospital and he probably didn't even know it. Taehyung didn't even know if Jungkook was in pain or if he was feeling sad or depressed or...

Or if Jungkook was feeling anything at all.

But that couldn't be the case, could it? Taehyung squeezes the boy's hand a few days ago and got a small response from him, the faster pounding of Jungkook's heart was enough to tell Taehyung that he was still there.

So Taehyung picked up Jungkook's hand softly and squeezed it again, waiting for the heart rate monitor to pick up in the slightest. But nothing happened.

Taehyung frowned, feeling his heart drop and almost crack into a million pieces. He sat there with Jungkook for a minute, quietly watching the boy's nonexistent facial expressions. He watched the repetitive ride and fall of his chest, and the sound of Jungkook's heart beating was going to soon drown everything out.

That is, until Jungkook opened his eyes.

His eyes flew wide open and Taehyung could feel that he himself almost fell out of his seat. He stood up quickly and peered over Jungkook's body, tears threatening to fall when he finally saw Jungkook's beautiful eyes.

Taehyung was finally able to see the big, brown eyes that he loved so much. He looked down at Jungkook and smiled softly, wiping away tears before they fell on Jungkook's face. He stared into the boy's eyes, but didn't get any response.

Jungkook's naturally doey eyes looked like they were staring off somewhere in space, or if he was deep in thought. He was looking at Taehyung directly, but at the same time he wasn't. His eyes seemed to look right through Taehyung, as if there was nothing there but a white ceiling and white walls.

"Hey, b-baby," Taehyung stuttered, biting his lip when he heard his voice crack and more tears spill out of his eyes. He held onto Jungkook's hand—which had never left his grip, even when he almost jumped out of his seat when Jungkook suddenly moved—and gripped it tightly, using his other hand to wipe away stray tears.

Jungkook stared up at Taehyung for a while, before he blinked. He blinked. Taehyung felt more tears rushing to his eyes and had to stop himself from jumping around in joy or picking up Jungkook from his hospital bed and hugging him tightly. He grinned widely at Jungkook and held the boy's hand tighter.

He really was getting better.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶