Chapter 9~Dinner

The night was progressing quite well, after the initial shocks of family updates normal chatter arose. Rosaline did her best to seem as if she'd been living in Storybrooke as long as everyone else.  Mostly by nodding her head. Rumple was a little on edge, being the first time meeting the other parent of Belle's.

Rumple's PoV

At least Belle's parents didn't abandon each other and turn into Peter Pan.

Dinner chatter was becoming more lively. The gestures looser and more comfortable. Colette's arm swung, and knocked a wine glass off the table.

As a natural reaction the entire table went to catch the glass. Until the glass stopped mid-air wine and all. Before any one said a word Rosaline had ran upstairs, as if she was ashamed of what she'd done.

"Belle..?" Colette was concerned and yet still in awe of what'd just occurred. I had begun the ascent to Rosaline. Belle stayed with her mother via my unvoiced request.

Rosaline's PoV

What had I just done? I've ruined everything for the two people in the world who actually wanted me. All you had to do was let that glass fall. No one would've been too upset, that glass could've been fixed by Rumplestiltskin later. Now you've shown them. Now they know you have magic. What if they don't want you now? You'll have no where to go, you're going to be all alone, again.

Rumple's PoV

Rosaline had magic too? Why hadn't she used that back in the forest? How strong was she? Would she have ever told us, had this not happened?

"Rosal-"

"Please...I..I..understand that you don't want anything to do with me anymore, so I'll just leave now and go back to whatever will come my way. It'll be as if this was all a very real dream."

I opened the door to where we'd begun to give her a room. She was already sobbing.

"We wouldn't just throw you out like this."

"But Colette..."

"She doesn't make the decisions for us. She thinks that you've lived with us your entire life. But we need you to help pass off a lifetime and fleeing as if we would ever think of kicking you out isn't very convincing."

"So....you do still want me? Although I kept this secret from the both of you?"

Nodding, she embraced me.

"Thank you. I owe the world to you. I've always imagined having a family but never had the opportunity for one." I held her tighter. Happy tears welled in my eyes.

It hit me that Baelfire probably had these same thoughts when he'd gone through the portal..

Belle's PoV

"Mom...I didn't plan on having this evening go astray like this. I wanted everything to be perfect and now my daughter is in tears."

"It's because she doesn't know my opinions on magic isn't it? Let me talk to her."

There wasn't going to be any stopping my mother.

"Just be careful.."

Colette's PoV

Poor girl..the first time we meet I make her cry. If I hadn't knocked over that wine glass my only grandchild wouldn't be afraid of me and in tears.

"Rosaline....Honey..could I talk with you?"

Rumple walked out of her room.

"Careful dearie.."

"Come in..."

Her room was cozy, though not as decorated as I would assume a teenager's would be. Seemed as if she had just moved in. There hadn't been any pictures with the three of them together anywhere in the house. Are they just not into pictures?

"Rosaline...Hey.." Her eyes were puffy as I assumed she'd been crying.

"You probably despise me now."

"Why would you say that?"

"I have magic, your face had said it all for you."

"I have nothing against magic. Even if I did I would never despise my granddaughter, magic or not."

Her expression was that of elation and relief.

"Want to finish with dessert?" We shared a laugh.

Maybe now I could work on getting things on track with my daughter and her family.