Chapter 1

"I'm okay with dying" I mumbled to myself. Although as I said it I began to doubt myself more and more. There was nothing left for me here anyway, dying wouldn't even be that bad, but the longer I was waiting for takeoff I began to get more and more nervous. Best case scenario I would win and Woodall would set Sky and I free, something we had dreamed about in the year I had known her. But if I would die, sure I would be happy, but she would still be trapped as Woodall's slave. I sighed and adjusted the makeshift costume I had put together for myself. I had thought that I had been clever when I designed it to look like the superhero Spider-Man, but I had yet to receive comments on it, making me begin to think that no one knew who Spider-Man was anymore.

I did my best not to make eye contact with the other people that were loading onto the ship with me. Most of us were going to be dead within the hour. However I did begin to take note on how many players had invested in Respawns. If one had the cash, they could die in these games in the most gruesome way possible and be able to get back up an hour later. I didn't have that luxury, Woodall would rather I die painfully than have me come back to be his slave. That was fine by me.

I knew that I stood a bit of a chance competing, with the abilities I had, I knew I would be able to have the element of surprise against some of these people. Ever since I had woken up back in that place, I had discovered that being cryogenically frozen for just over seven hundred years came with some funky side effects. I still had no idea how or why I had been frozen, my last memory was simply me walking across my universities campus and then the next thing I knew... Well, I'm here. Everyone I knew or loved is long dead, the planet I used to call home had been practically destroyed and now is only inhabited with slaves salvaging what is left. I shook my head, if I was going to die in the next hour I didn't need to be thinking about that anymore.

As the dropship took off towards the island, I began to make my way over to an empty chair. However, as I was walking I noticed a face in the crowd that was familiar. I cursed under my breath, it was a legend. And not just any legend, it was Mirage. I felt my anxiety fly through the roof, there wasn't supposed to be any previous winners playing today. I really was going to die. This guy had never lost a solo match. Ever. Something told me he wasn't about to break his streak. I didn't even realize I was staring until he waved his hand in front of my face.

"Hello?" I snapped back to attention, my eyes wide. "I said I liked your outfit." I looked down at myself and at the Spider-Man suit. "Very different, hip."

"Oh, uh," I stuttered. "Thanks." My nervousness caused him to laugh.

"First time?" I nodded. "Got a respawn?" I shook my head. "That's a shame." And with that sentence he made his way to the back of the ship, the doors which had now been opened, and jumped out. I cursed again as I watched the rest of the people begin to file out. I put my hands on my head. I couldn't believe I was really going to do this. I readjusted the mask one more time, took a deep breath, and lept.

It seemed that skydiving was a lot harder than I had imagined. I was able to even myself out after flailing in the air for a few seconds and I could begin to steer myself in the direction that I wanted to go. However, now that I was falling I began to realize how little I knew about this island. My map that was on the armband screen they gave me told me where the "hot zone" was and I knew that I should avoid that at all costs. I decided it would be smart to stick to the edge of the map and then make my way in as the ring would close behind me.

I had been aiming for a place called Artillery but I had miscalculated how I was flying and I wound up just outside the walls. As the announcer declared first blood, I quickly scanned the area and saw a group of three supply crates and ran towards them. However as I opened up the first one I saw another person right behind me. I saw him trying to make a grab for the gun that was in the bin I just opened and without thinking I had my knee in the guys stomach. As he recoiled backwards I grabbed the gun, a pistol that I think is called a Wingman. The guy looked back up and me and saw that I was holding it and his face went white. I pulled back the trigger and closed my eyes as the bullet made its way through his chest.

As he crumpled over I had to bite back the urge I had to toss up my breakfast. I killed someone. I looked down at the gun in my hand and back to the body. I killed him. My chest felt tight, it felt like I couldn't breathe. I glanced back over at the body and noticed that on his screen on his arm there was a blinking green dot.

He had a respawn.

I felt myself exhale. I didn't kill him. At least, permanently. I leant up against the side of the open supply bin and caught my breath. It had only been two minutes into the game. The screen on my wrist buzzed and I saw that they had given the first ring location. It was a fair distance away. I cursed and went over to the other two supply bins. I found a few medical supplies and a blue shield. As I activated it I watched it shine blue before going transparent over top of my suit. I took a second to appreciate how cool technology was in this time before carrying on.

I knew that I needed to get another weapon, this pistol may not be enough. I made my way toward a small building just outside of the walls to Artillery, where I could still hear gunshots ringing out. I had to be fast. On the floor there were two more weapons, neither that I could name. I sighed,

"Probably should've looked up how guns work before this, huh?" I thought out loud. Of the two I noticed that one took the same kind of ammo as the Wingman and I made a decision to take that one. I picked it up and examined it. Some sort of assault weapon. I knew that much from video games. I had hardly noticed that the gunfire coming from inside Artillery had stopped, I was so busy trying to sort through the stuff I had collected and storing it in the tiny backpack I had found. When I heard the footsteps outside the building I was in I felt my heart climb back into my throat. Whoever it was was going to be coming in here, no doubt to check for loot.

"What would spidey do?" I wondered as I looked up at the roof. I shook my head and quickly hoisted myself on top of the shelves inside the building. I shakily put my foot on the roof. "Okay superpowers," I muttered. "Don't fail me now." I began to wish that I had taken more time to try and master the ability. Spider-Man always made it look so easy. Then again, he was fictional. Luckily, my foot stuck and I quickly crawled the rest of the way onto the roof of the building just as the door below me opened. I felt myself take a sharp inhale as the person looked around. As I watched her I noticed that I had left both of my guns on ground. I cursed in my head. How could I be that stupid? If this girl looked up...

She bent down to look at my guns which I had left of the floor and looked back at the door before picking one up. I noticed that she grinned when she picked up the Wingman and she slid it into her gun belt, leaving behind a different weapon. As she did that, I took the chance to crawl towards the other end of the roof so that I wouldn't be above the door when she walked out. However, as I moved I felt myself losing control over the stickiness. I readjusted my feet but as I did I kicked down a tiny chunk of the roof onto the floor.

When it clattered to the floor the woman in the room snapped her head around in a swivel. She walked up to where the piece of roof was and picked it up. She shook her head as she tossed it to the ground and walked out the building. When the door shut I realized that I had been holding my breath and I took another deep breath. That was close. I took a few more deep breaths while still on the roof to focus myself. I heard the sound of the person getting onto the zip line balloon and decided it was safe to come down. I dropped my feet down first, leaving my hand on the roof before letting go and dropping down to the ground. A move I had remembered from Spider-Man. I shook my head, if only my friends could see me now. Basically Spider-Man, just female, without the webs and literally in a blood sport.

I looked back at the ground and looked at the weapon the woman had left behind in exchange for my Wingman. The gun had Mozambique written on the side and I noticed it took shotgun ammo. I shook my head as I slid the gun into the loops of the backpack. I guess it was going to have to do.

"Warning," a voice from above spoke. "Ring closing." I frantically looked down at my map, had it been ten minutes already.

"Shit!" I exclaimed. Guess I didn't have time to go inside Artillery to look for scraps. I made my way out of the building. I could make it into the next ring if I jogged. I knew that taking the balloon would be faster but after jumping out of that ship I wasn't sure I wanted to try that again. As I jogged I looked down at the device on my arm. It looked like half of the people were dead already. The tracker in the corner told me that I was at one kill and I tried not to think back to the man I left lying dead in the dirt. I looked back up to the area around me and saw that on the giant screens around the map the champion, Mirage, was still alive. Not only that, but he was at two kills already. I sighed, I knew my only chance of winning would be if someone else would take him out for me. But I knew the chances of that were slim.