Chapter 11

It was a few more minutes before the rest of the guests arrived. I had took a moment to go back into my room to take a breather and try to settle my nerves. There was a soft knock on my door.

"You okay?" Wraith asked, sticking her head in. I nodded and adjusted my hair in the mirror.

"Yeah. I've never really been good at meeting new people. And the fact that two of them have already mentioned how they can't wait to kill me tomorrow isn't really helping." Wraith let out a small laugh.

"They're just being playful."

"I know. Still weird though." She nodded, agreeing. From inside my room we could hear the doorbell ring. Wraith looked over at me,

"We probably should go say hi."

"Right. Yeah. Okay." I took a deep breath and followed Wraith out the door.

"Bloodhound!" Mirage exclaimed just as Wraith and I were walking out back into the kitchen. The fighter nodded in response. "Well come on in!" As they did I noticed that they were wearing exactly what they would be wearing in the arena. Mirage led Bloodhound into the kitchen where he saw me and grinned. "Bloodhound, I would like you to meet my new protege, Sly." I held up a hand.

"It is an honor to meet you," they replied while bowing their head down. I tried to mimic the response which caused Mirage to laugh. "I am looking forward to our battle tomorrow." Bloodhound said and as they did I took notice of how unique the voice changer in their helmet was.

"Uh, yeah," I stuttered.

"You seem nervous," the hunter noticed. I grinned a little,

"Yeah, I'll be honest, it's really cool to meet you." They nodded again. "My girlfriend-" As I said that I felt myself stutter. "Uh, she was a big fan."

"Perhaps one of these days I can meet her." I faked a grin,

"No, she uh," I sighed. "She died."

"I'm sorry flelagi," they said while putting a hand on my shoulder. I found myself at a loss of words.

"Hey Blood," Ajay said from the kitchen. This caused the hunter to remove their hand from my shoulder to go and greet her. I stood still for a second and Mirage came up to me.

"You doing okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, yeah." I nodded a few times while regaining my composure. All of a sudden I felt something wiz past my head. I let out a tiny yelp as I felt whatever it was land on my head. My eyes went wide. "Um." I tried to look up. "Mirage..." I started. He had a hand over his mouth covering his laugh "Is, is there a crow... on my head?" He nodded a few times, his grin getting wider and wider. I bit my lip. "Okay..."

"Arthur!" I heard Bloodhound exclaim from behind me. "I am terribly sorry," they said while putting out their hand for the crow to hop on. The crow chirped a few times happily as he bounced off my head onto Bloodhound. Once I felt the bird gone I quickly ran my fingers through my hair, trying to get out any feathers. I laughed awkwardly.

"It's fine."

"He only ever does that to people he likes," Bloodhound explained as the crow went from their hand to their shoulder. I grinned a little.

"At least someone here likes you," Mirage said with a playful smile while nudging my shoulder. I smacked his arm.

"Care for a drink Sly?" Ajay asked me from the kitchen.

"God yes." I mumbled, causing Mirage to chuckle again. "Thank you." I said once she handed me a glass of wine. There was another knock on the door as I took a sip. Mirage motioned for me to follow him to greet whoever was next.

"Hey bruddah!" Gibraltar exclaimed once the door was swung open, he was wearing a shirt that reminded me of a Hawaiian shirt and was carrying a bowl of what I assumed to be salsa . "Look who I found lurking around outside!" He said pushing forward who I recognized to be Caustic. He glared at Gibraltar and shook his head.

"Well Mokoa, Caustic, I would like you to meet my newest teammate, Sly!" Mirage declared.

"Aye!" Gibraltar exclaimed. "Good to see you again!" As he walked in he gave me a pat on the shoulder with the arm that wasn't carrying the food. I glanced over at Caustic who had a blank expression on his face. He simply nodded once and walked past me, nearly brushing my shoulder before I had the chance to say anything to him. I saw Mirage look around at everyone and he I saw him counting.

"Looks like that's everyone! Who doesn't have a drink yet?" I looked around at all the people in the place I had been calling home for almost a month. They were all chatting with one other and I stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. I looked over and saw Mirage in a conversation with Bangalore and Ajay while Wraith was talking to Bloodhound and Pathfinder. I bit my lip, debating if I should go and try to join one of those conversations. I took another sip of my wine and elected for sitting to the side, away from everyone. Their conversations lasted for a few minutes until there was a natural pause. During this pause I felt a few people look over at me.

"So Sly," Gibraltar started. "Where you from?"

"Oh," I said, noticing how now everyone was watching. "Nowhere."

"You have to have come from somewhere," Bangalore pressed. I shook my head,

"Earth." She nodded,

"Alright. That really is nowhere." I grinned a little while a few people around the room had some confused looks on their faces, no doubt putting together what Wraith and Mirage had figured out that first day.

"Got any family?" Gibraltar asked, changing the subject. I shook my head. He nodded.

"How old are you?" Pathfinder asked.

"What year is it?" I said jokingly, causing a few people to grin a little, especially Mirage, but it seemed to confuse the robot. "I'm nineteen. Almost twenty."

"Young," Caustic noted, speaking his first words to me since he arrived. "It always does intrigue me testing on younger subjects," he said with no hint of joking in his voice. My mouth opened to say something but no words came out.

"Caus," Ajay said while I tried to think of something to say. "Ya just got 'ere." I looked over and grinned,

"I mean you did threaten me within the first like three seconds of getting here." A few people laughed.

"That's really the only thing that goes on at these things," Mirage said and a few people nodded, agreeing with him. I smiled again. In the kitchen a timer went off and Mirage spun his head around. "Alright! Pork Chops are done!" Everyone made their way over to the table to sit down. I picked out a seat beside Wraith and sat down. On the other side of me, Bloodhound sat down and their bird hopped onto the table. All of the food on the table was making me hungry. Everything smelt amazing, even though I had never tried half of the stuff sitting in front of me. Mirage set down the pork chops and I reached to put one on my plate.

"Bet you don't get to many of these back on Earth," Gibraltar chuckled. I grinned,

"It has been a while." I said as everyone piled more food onto their plates and begun eating. "I would die for a good steak right about now though." As I said this everyone stopped what they were doing. "What?" I looked over at Mirage who was shaking his head while trying to hold back a grin.

"Like from a cow?" Ajay asked. I slowly nodded.

"Yeah-" I saw Wraith shaking her head no, "I mean, no."

"You really suck at this kid," Mirage commented while putting a hand on his head.

"What?!" I was genuinely confused. "Are those hard to get here?" Everyone kept staring at me before Pathfinder finally spoke up.

"Cows officially went extinct four hundred and twelve years ago!" he said as it was a fun fact. My eyes went wide.

"Oh..." I said as I realized what I had done. "Well, shit!"