Chapter 9

"I got you a present!" Mirage exclaimed as he walked into my room. I was sitting crossed legged on my bed fiddling with the dead phone. It was now only a few days till the game. I was glad that after I had actually told them my whole story that the dynamic between us did not change. Although Mirage had been asking some weird questions every now and then. Yesterday he asked me if I had ever eaten a duck.

"What is it?" I asked, looking at the rather large box he had in his hands. He set it down on my bed.

"Okay, before you open it. Quick question. You don't want your current suit to be ruined."

"That was not a question."

"Right. But still true." I nodded. "So, I figured since there may be a tiny chance that you'll I don't know, get shot again, it would ruin the outfit."

"Mirage is there a new suit in the box?" He grinned.

"I had it specially made!" I opened up the lid to the box and began to examine it. The material was a lot nicer and more durable. "I even hooked up the comms that we all use for the game!" I picked it and held it in front of me.

"This looks totally different!" I exclaimed. "Where's the web?" The suit was just a shade of red with a spider still on the chest.

"Was that part of the decoration?"

"It's Spider-Man!"

"Who now?" I sighed, a deep sigh and grabbed a marker from my bedside table. "Wait, what are you doing?" I had begun to scribble on the lines in the permanent ink. "That was like," he paused. "A lot of money!" I ignored him.

"There!" I proclaimed once I was done. "Now it is more accurate." Mirage shook his head and walked out the door.

"At least try it on!" he yelled as he walked out.

"Fight me Mirage!" I yelled back.

"I told you to call me Elliott!" I chuckled and began to change.

Once I had the suit on I made my way into the kitchen were he and Wraith were sitting.

"I told you it didn't look good without the lines," Wraith said to Mirage. He ignored her.

"How does it feel?"

"Pretty good," I spun around, demonstrating the whole suit. "Thanks for this." I added. Mirage nodded.

"Now. The next order of business. The games are in three days. Which means the party is in two." My eyes went wide.

"Party?"

"Well, more just a dinner party but yeah. What are you going to wear?" I looked over at Wraith.

"Every night before a champion game a group of us get together and hang out." I slowly nodded.

"Then you all just kill each other the next day?"

"You didn't do that back in your day?" Mirage asked with a smirk.

"Well when we killed our friends in a blood sport we called it Fortnite." He squinted his eyes and I laughed. "That was a joke. A good one, by the way."

"Right," Mirage said, drawing out the word. "Anyway, since my squad won the last game I'm hosting. Well that and both Bloodhound and Wraith refuse to host." Wraith shrugged. "I've got most of it all ready to go already, really we just need to go over your whole thing."

"And what does that mean?"

"Well, it's just some of these people they can be a little, what's the word?"