Chapter 46

The way back to Mirage's house was dead silent between Bloodhound and I. I kept trying to think of different things to say that would make our situation any better but I was at a loss for words. We ended up having to walk through half of forest before we had even made it to a road. Bloodhound had a small SUV type vehicle hidden away in some branches that we then climbed into to drive the rest of the way into the city. Not a single word was spoken between the two of us for the entire drive.

Bloodhound parked their car far away from Mirage's and instead we walk the rest of the way to the house. The closer we got to Mirage's house I began to start thinking about how nice it would be to be back home and I quickly used this excitement to push away the sadness I felt about Bloodhound not wanting to continue exploring a relationship.

The second I walked through the front door to Mirage's house I was greeted with a giant bear hug from the man himself.

"Sly!" Mirage exclaimed, hugging me so tight I was being lifted off of the ground. "It's so good to see you!" I grinned and hugged him back.

"Same here Mirage, now do you mind putting me down?"

"Right," Mirage let go and set me back down on the ground. I looked around at the house and noticed that a lot had changed. "It didn't fair to well having a ship crash into it," Mirage explained, noticing me looking around. "That and Caustic's gas really messes up the paint." I grinned a little,

"It looks good." I took a few steps towards the living room and as I did, I noticed there was a fair amount of people sitting around. "Hey guys," I said to the handful of legends.

"Greetings!" Pathfinder was the first to exclaim.

"What are you all doing here?"

"Wanted ta welcom ya back!" Ajay said with a grin.

"That and we think we have a plan to deal with the IMC," Wattson explained. I nodded a few times.

"Right, yeah." I had almost forgotten that they had been trying to kill me. "So what is it?" I looked to Mirage and saw him faking a grin.

"Well actually, the plan is to do nothing." My eyes grew wide.

"Nothing?!"

"I've been listening in on some of the chatter between the IMC," Bangalore started. "From the sounds of it, the attack here was not planned and the higher ups aren't happy about it. There won't be another anytime soon."

"I thought the IMC cut off contact with you?" I asked, hesitantly. I saw Bangalore smirk,

"That doesn't mean I cut off contact with them." I tilted my head, confused. "Thanks to Pathfinder, I can still access some of the old radio channels." I nodded a few times.

"Okay, but doing nothing won't hold them back forever," I pointed out. Mirage nodded,

"That's where things get fun actually." I looked back over to Bangalore.

"There have been attempts by different players in the games trying to destroy the data being stored there. Sent by the IMC."

"That doesn't sound good."

"It's not. If you or Wraith want any more information out of those, you're going to have to do it soon."

"Where is she, by the way?" I asked, looking around the room.

"Safe," Mirage said. "Other than that, we don't really know."

"Is she coming back soon?" Mirage shrugged,

"At the last game, where we went to bunker, we were able to pull out a small file about her and..." he trailed off. "It wasn't the most happiest of things to read." This caused me to frown and no one in the room said anything for a few seconds.

"So, when are we going back into the arena?" I finally asked. Mirage grinned again,

"Tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow?!"

"Yeah, we're going to do the two teams again, one in bunker, one in hydro dam."

"Ah," I said a second later. "That's why Caustic is here." For the first time since I arrived Caustic looked at me, although it was a glare. I grinned a little. "So what's the teams?" There were eight people total in the room and I was wondering how we were supposed to make two teams of three.

"Well Anita and I are taking off after this to head back home for a few days, so we're out," Ajay said with a grin. I looked over to Bangalore who did not look as excited about this fact.

"So, I was thinking of me, you, and Bloodhound," Mirage said.

"Perhaps we should send Sly with the other group," Bloodhound suddenly said. "So they know what they are looking for." I opened my mouth to say something but quickly realized what Bloodhound was implying. They didn't want me on their team. I felt myself look down at the ground so that the others couldn't see what I was feeling, although the silence in the room made it pretty clear.

"Well Sly, you can join me and Caustic in Bunker!" Natalie finally exclaimed. "It will be fun!" I grinned a little,

"Sure, yeah." Mirage clapped his hands together,

"Alright! We'll see you all tomorrow. Ajay, Ani- Bangalore, have fun on your trip!" Everyone began to file out of Mirage's house. "Wait, Bloodhound!" Mirage spoke up. Bloodhound stopped in their tracks and spun back around to face him. "I just wanted to thank you for letting Sly stay with you. I know it was a trem-tr-mu, uh, a big ask." I looked back over to Bloodhound, wondering what they were going to say back. They saw me looking and made eye contact with me. I grinned a little and they quickly looked back at Mirage. They nodded once.

"I will see you at the arena tomorrow." And with that statement Bloodhound left as well. Once the door was closed Mirage looked over at me.

"I'm so glad you're back. You've missed so much between-"

"I'm going to bed," I mumbled, cutting him off.

"Awe, what?! You just got back!" Mirage exclaimed, following me as I walked over to my bedroom. "I want to know how you've been! What was Bloodhound's house like? Do they-"

"I'm really not in the mood Mirage." I was about to close the door in his face when he put his hand on it to stop me.

"Is everything okay? I thought you would be excited to come back!" I sighed,

"I am, really. And it is good to see you."

"So what's bothering you than? Did something happen at Bloodhound's?" I didn't say anything. "You can talk to me, you know that, right?" I nodded a few times,

"I just need some sleep." Mirage stood in the doorway for a few seconds, rubbing his beard as he thought.

"Alright," he finally said. "I'll come wake you for dinner."

"Okay, thanks," I said quietly. Mirage nodded and closed the door for me. I stood there for a second and sighed. I threw myself onto my bed and took a second to relish in the fact that I was back in my own bed. After sleeping on Bloodhound's couch for a couple weeks this bed felt like a cloud. As I lay I couldn't help but start thinking about Bloodhound again, replaying our conversation back at their house over and over again in my mind, trying to convince myself that they didn't want to break things off completely. Then I remembered that they stuck me on a team with Caustic.

I rolled myself over onto my stomach so that my face was in the pillow. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Want to help support me as a student and a creator? Check out my ko-fi which allows for small one time donations!!

https://ko-fi.com/mozandadream