Chapter 17

"What the hell is happening?!" I exclaimed while looking around. I noticed that most of the legends already had guns out and ready. I glanced to Mirage who was loading his.

"Oh you know, sometimes someone gets mad about what happens in the arena and tries to take it out on us in real life."

"You mean this has happened before?!"

"All the time." My eyes went wide. I realized that I wasn't wearing my suit and cursed when I also realized that meant I wasn't carrying a gun on me. I peaked around the couch and saw Bangalore barking orders to some of the other legends.

"There's at least six of them," Wraith informed her before she disappeared into her void, knife ready. Bangalore kept instructing people where to go, although not all of them were listening and were already doing their own thing. Mirage looked down at me,

"Stay under the dome." I quickly nodded, still a little scared. This wasn't in the arena anymore, if someone got shot here... 

As I sat under the cover I couldn't help but look around at the scene in front of me. Whoever was attacking us seemed to know what they were doing however they had decided to go up against eight of the best killers on the planet and were dropping like flies.

"Shouldn't we keep one of them alive!?" I asked to no one in particular. "See who sent them?!"

"That's a good point," Mirage agreed. "Keep one alive!" he yelled to everyone else. He looked over at Caustic who was setting up one of his gas grenades. "Caustic!" he shouted. "No poison gas in the house!" Caustic sighed and put it back in his pocket, looking disappointed. I glanced over to the window and saw two glowing red eyes moving quickly. Bloodhound.

By the time everyone one of the attackers was down only a minute had passed in total. I stood up from the couch as Gibraltar's shield disappeared. As everyone came back together I saw that Gibraltar had taken a bullet and Lifeline was already patching him up with D.O.C. Wraith appeared in front of us.

"There's still one more," she said calmly. "Hiding." she said before disappearing again. I ran a hand through my hair looking around. That's when I saw the shine from a rifle through the reflection of the T.V, whoever it was had a perfect shot lined up on me. I quickly turned myself invisible and slid across the floor a second before the bullet whizzed into the screen. Everyone around me reacted but I had already made it behind the last guy. I quickly grabbed a lamp from beside where he was standing and broke it over his head. He fell to the ground, unconscious and I made myself visible.

"You can do that without the suit?" Bangalore asked. Mirage glared at me,

"So much for keeping that a secret," he said with his eyebrows raised. I shrugged and he shook his head. "Well, it looks like he's the only one still alive," he said while looking back at everyone else. "Path, tie him up." The bot didn't protest and hoisted the unconscious man up before dropping his onto a chair. He quickly took his grapple and wrapped it around him, keeping him in place. Everyone stood around him and I decided it would be best if I kept my distance, so I took a few steps behind everyone, basically hiding behind Gibraltar.

"Hey, I know this guy!" Lifeline said as we all stood around him, waiting for him to wake up. We all looked at her. "He's a mercenary, the kind to take a contract without asking questions. Patched him up at one point."

"So much for paying back the favour," Bangalore muttered. "Wake him up," she said to no one in particular. Caustic stepped forward with the gas canister back in his hands.

"No!" Mirage said, reaching over to smack him. "Bad Caustic!" Caustic sighed again, looking disappointed, and put the canister away. Lifeline picked up her drink from the table and hurled the contents towards the mans face.

"Waste of a drink," Caustic muttered, still seeming upset he didn't get to use his gas. The person in the chair began to stir. He looked up and saw the nine of us and his face went sheer white. I saw him mouth a curse word.

"Hello there!" Mirage exclaimed in a tone that seemed to carefree for the given scenario. "Now, my dear friends have been kind enough not to kill you yet so hopefully you can return the favor and tell us who you're after." The man in the chair shook his head.

"You weren't all supposed to be here," he muttered.

"So it was me than?" Mirage asked, grinning as if this was a compliment. The man shook his head and looked around.

"The girl." All heads turned towards me. I pointed to myself as my mouth fell open. The man nodded.

"What?!" Mirage exclaimed and I exclaimed at the same time. "Her?!"

"Me?!" I found myself stepping out from behind Gibraltar. "Who hired you?" The man remained silent. "What do you need a second to think about it?" I found myself getting angry.

"He'll kill me."

"Yeah well look around buddy! So will everyone else in this room!" I saw him clench his jaw. "Or do you need a quick refresher on who you're dealing with?" I looked around. "Wraith can literally send you into a different dimension. I was only in there for about two seconds but I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to get stuck in there!" Wraith nodded a few times and I looked over to Pathfinder. "Someone forgot to teach him the three laws of robotics and he won't hesitate to go Terminator on your ass." Everyone looked at me confused but I kept going. "And we've already had to stop Caustic not once, but twice from using that gas on you! Not to mention-!"

"Alright!" he exclaimed, cutting me off. "It was a man by the name of Woodall." I felt myself form fists with my hand.

"What?!" I shouted as I spun around from the guy before I punched him square in the jaw. "That son of a bitch!" All of the legends were looking at me, confused. I found myself wanting to finish off the guy in the chair. I shook my head as I turned back to him, pointing my finger in his face. "Okay," I took a deep breath. "Here's what you're going to do. You're going to go find him on that shitty ass planet and tell him that we're done. Tell him he already got what he wanted, plus more!" I was shouting again.

"Is?" Mirage started. "Is this the guy who...?" I nodded and looked back to the mercenary.

"Tell him that if I ever hear his name again I won't hesitate to fly back down there and put a bullet through his eyes."

"And she won't be going alone," Mirage spoke up.

"You saw what we did here today," Wraith said, stepping up beside Mirage. "Think of what we could do to his little business."

"And they got lots of backup," Gibraltar said stepping forward as well. The rest of the legends all looked at me and nodded, even Caustic. If it hadn't of been so serious I probably would've started laughing at how cheesy this whole scene was. I went up to the man and untied the grapple that was around him.

"Go," I instructed. He sat there hesitating. I raised my eyebrows. "Would you rather I let Caustic have you?" Immediately he jumped out of the seat and ran out the door. Once he was gone I sighed and ran my hand through my hair again. As I did this I noticed that everyone was staring at me. "What?"

"That was pretty badass," Ajay said with a grin. I smiled a little,

"Thanks for having my back guys."

"Of course," Bangalore replied. "You're one of us now. We watch out for each other." My smile grew wider as I nodded. It fell silent in the room again and I started looking around at the mess we had created. A few of the legends were still looking out the window, watching the only surviving attacker flee the scene.

"Sorry about the house Mirage," I finally said. He waved his hand out,

"Happens more often than you would think. You did break my favourite lamp though," he said while smiling.

"Shame we let one get away," Caustic said. "On an unrelated note, I am going to take my leave." Before anyone could answer Caustic was already out the door.

"Yeah he's going to kill that guy, isn't he?" I asked. Mirage grinned.

"Hundred percent."