Chapter 37

We had just landed on the other side of Hydro Dam. The side opposite to Repulser, where there was a small cluster of buildings. We figured it would be best if we found some loot and made sure the area was clear for us to try and hack into the terminals.

For once, no one else had landed where we did however we still were in a hurry as we knew the ring wouldn't be around Hydro Dam for long. Wattson had suggested that she could hack into the ring itself but we didn't want to be drawing in any more attention than we already were.

Wraith hadn't been the first player to join the games to search for answers in the abandoned IMC buildings in the arena and I knew that I wouldn't be the last. However there was no way for us to turn off the cameras so the whole audience would be watching what we were doing. Before the match we had talked about stuff we could talk about to try and hide the fact that we knew at once point the IMC had cryogenically frozen people to test on.

"Placing fences!" Natalie informed us once we had entered Hydro Dam. She had closed the door and I watched as she placed down different poles and grinned when I saw the electricity lines form between them.

"Those are so cool!" I exclaimed as she ran to the other end to put some at the top of the stairs. She smiled at me when she came back down.

"Now if someone comes in here, we'll know!" I looked over to Bloodhound who nodded in approval.

"I will keep watch out front," they said as they swung around a Triple Take.

"Sounds good," I replied. I walked back over to Wattson who was now sitting on the ground in front of some of the servers in the side room to Hydro Dam. She was sitting crossed legged with a laptop out and was typing like mad.

"This shouldn't take long," she told me as I sat down beside her. She purposely had the screen tilted down just to ensure that if there was a camera, no one would be able to read what was on the screen. "Is this even legal?" I asked a few seconds later, pulling out some of our planned dialogue. Natalie shrugged. Also planned.

"Either the IMC doesn't care or there's nothing valuable in here,"

"At least that anyone's found." She shrugged again.

"What am I looking for again?" She asked.

"Man I don't even know. I'm just taking a shot in the dark with this." It went quiet and all that could be heard was the sound of Natalie's fingers on the keyboard. I sighed a few seconds later and stood up. I began to meander through the tiny bunker we were in. I hadn't had time to actually look around at the places we were in as I was to busy trying not to die.

I spent a minute walking around before I got bored again and began to walk over to where Bloodhound was keeping watch. However I got to the door and realized there was an electric fence blocking my way. I stopped and looked at it. I stuck out my finger towards the line of electricity, but stopped myself and took a step back. How did Bloodhound get through? They had gone out after the fence was set up. I looked back down at the fence and stuck out my hand again. However, this time once I got close the door slid open and Bloodhound walked through. When they got close to the fence it shut itself off and allowed them to pass.

"There's a team advancing this way from Repulser," they said while going to check the other door. As they walked away from the fence the electricity fence lit up again. I blinked a few times. Was it really that easy? For a third time I stuck my finger out and this time went to touch the line.

"Shit!" I exclaimed as my hand got zapped. I lifted the bottom part of my mask off of my mouth and stuck my finger in to cool it down.

"Sly?" Natalie said from the other room. "You okay?"

"All good!" I replied through the finger still in my mouth. I looked up at the stairs and saw Bloodhound walking back down. They looked at me and saw me standing in the open sucking on my finger. I grinned sheepishly and went to go look at my finger. The electricity had fried a hole right through the suit and melted it to my fingers. "Ow," I said, quiet this time. Bloodhound walked up to me and without saying anything grabbed my hand and began to examine my finger.

"Might need to amputate it," they said in their normal tone while dropping my hand and walking to where Wattson was sitting.

"Wait, wait, really?!" I said, clear panic in my voice. They stopped walking and looked at me. Despite the mask I had a feeling they were raising their eyebrows. "Oh I see, you're a comedian now," I huffed and went to follow them.

"I believe Sly does not have one of your tags," they said upon walking up to Wattson. "For the fences." Wattson looked up from the laptop.

"Oh dear!" she exclaimed. "Désolé!" I laughed a little as she handed me a device.

"It's all good."

"As long as that is on your person you should have no problem passing through." I nodded and clipped the small metal device onto the straps of my backpack.

"Thanks." She nodded and looked back down at her screen.

"How long till that team is here Hound?" she asked without looking up. Bloodhound was now back in front of the door.

"A minute."

"I need two. Can you hold them off?"

"Já," Bloodhound replied. "Sly?"

"On my way," I started to jog over and as I ran I pulled out my Wingman. Bloodhound was positioned on one side of the big doorway so I took a similar stance across from them. They held a finger up to me as if to say 'hang on'. I nodded and turned the safety off of the gun. Outside I could hear the sound of footsteps approaching and I took a deep breath to focus myself. There were two supply bins outside the door and through the window I could see two of enemies in front of them.

"Now," Bloodhound instructed, opening the door. Once it was open enough I prayed to God the fence wouldn't zap me again and jumped through. Upon not being turned into a crisp, I began firing at the only person in the squad of three that was standing still. I landed half of the shots that were in the Wingman and quickly jumped back inside to reload. As I did I looked back at Bloodhound and saw a red glow through their goggles as they unloaded a mag from their Havoc into the second person. Once that person was down I saw Bloodhound looking around and I carefully made my way out from behind cover.

"Was there only two-" I started but before I could blink Bloodhound had their Triple Take back in their hands and fired a shot off in the distance.

"There," they said a second later, lowering the weapon. "Caught them all." I grinned a little as that last line put a song into my head. I looked over at Bloodhound.

"Gotta catch em' all, right?" They looked at me confused. "Would you say that you also want to be the very best? Like no one ever was?" I sang the last few lines.

"What-?" Bloodhound started to ask while looking at me with a blank stare.

"To catch them, is my real test," I kept singing. "To train them in my cause." Bloodhound shook their head,

"We should go back in-"

"I will travel across the land, searching far and wide,"

"What is Sly going on about?" Wattson asked through the coms as I kept singing.

"Each Pokémon to understand the power that's inside," at this point I had started dancing as we walked inside.

"I'm not really-"

"Pokémon!" I practically shouted. "Gotta catch em' all!" I pointed to Bloodhound, who had their arms crossed in front of them "It's you and me, I know it's my destiny!"

"Are you done-?"

"Pokémon!"

"I take that as a no."

"Oh, you're my best friend." I gave Bloodhound some finger guns and kept dancing. "In a world we must defend. Pokémon!" As I sang the last Pokémon we heard a loud bang from upstairs. I stopped myself, mid song.

"The fence is broken!" Wattson cried out.

"Gotta catch em' all." Bloodhound glared at me and I grinned a little. "Pokémon!