Chapter 34

"I died to a Mozambique," I muttered to Mirage after we had woken up.

"Ha!" he exclaimed. "And where was this guy?" he asked while motioning to Octane, who still hadn't woken up yet.

"Dead already. Took out an entire squad with a 'nade finishing himself off for them." Mirage laughed and we both looked over to Octane.

"He looks almost, peaceful, sleeping," Mirage commented, I nodded, agreeing. "Is it bad if I say I would rather him stay like this?" I glared at him and he laughed. "Kidding! Kind of." I was about to say something more when we heard Octane begin to stir.

"Woah!" he exclaimed a second later once he was fully conscious. "That was a rush!" he sprung up in his bed, not seeming to be freaking out as much as I did my first time being respawned. He tried to jump out of his bed but looked down and saw that upon reviving him someone had unattached his metal legs. "Uh, amigos? What happened to my legs?"

"You don't have any," Mirage commented. "You blew them off." Octane rolled his eyes dramatically,

"I know that, but where are my new ones?!"

"You actually blew those off as well," I explained. Octane's eyes went wide. "But they're right there," I said pointing to the corner of the room. As we all looked at them I noticed that they had sustained a bit of damage from the explosion.

"Ajay is going to be so mad at me," he said under his breath as he looked at the broken pieces. "If she sees this-!"

"Hang on!" Mirage interrupted. "Don't get your knackers in a knot." I looked over at him, bewildered at the expression he had used

"What the hell did you just say?"

"I might be able to help you out," he went on, ignoring me.

"Really?" Octane asked, eyes wide.

"Yeah, lots of people forget that I'm an engineer."

"You are?!" Octane and I exclaimed at the same time. Mirage looked over to me,

"Okay him not knowing I get, but you've been living with me!" I shrugged and he shook his head. "I'll take them back to my place," he said to Octane. "See what I can do."

"I can't go anywhere without my legs."

"There's actually this thing called a wheelchair." Octane shook his head again.

"If Ajay sees me without them..." he trailed off, seeming genuinely afraid of Lifeline's wrath. Mirage thought for a second.

"You can come hang out then." Octane flashed a grin but it faltered a second later.

"How are we supposed to get passed all of the reporters though? Without my legs?" Now I felt myself grin,

"I have an idea." I quickly explained.

"You can't be serious," Octane said as I turned around to let him hop onto my back so I could carry him the same way he had done to me in the arena.

"You want to stay here chico?"

~~~~~

"Nice place you got here," Octane said as we wheeled him into the house. "Reminds me of home."

"Same here," I said as I pushed him into the living room. Octane looked back at me,

"You had a house like this? Back in... whenever?" I grinned a little,

"No, jeez a house like this would cost a lot more than I had. I was actually living in a twelve by twelve foot concrete room at the time of my disappearance."