Chapter 72

The dropship was dead silent. We were getting closer to the drop zone, and with each second that went past, tension grew and grew. The cause of the tension? The murder robot that had tried to kill us all a couple of weeks ago. Now going by Revenant, he was pacing the floor of the dropship, eagerly eyeing each and every one of us, as if trying to size us up.

Word got around about his surprise visit to my room a couple of nights ago. The idea of him being able to sneak around like that in the complex all of the legends with anxiety. I even had to talk down a few of them from going out and trying to kill him in advance. The people in charge of the games had nothing to say about our newest addition, either. Ajay had been the one to bring it up to the PR guy about what had happened with him, and he had looked as if he were about to shit himself when he told all of us not to worry about him.

I glanced over to Bloodhound, who hadn't taken their eyes off of Revenant since we got on the dropship, a hand on their axe at all times. I gave them a small nudge and gently took their hand off the axe, lacing their fingers with mine instead.

The announcer of the ship told us that the path the dropship was taking had been revealed, we were to be flying in over Lava Fissure. Looking on the map, I noticed that now Fuel Depo was gone entirely, being replaced with the Harvester. It also looked as if the rumours of the ground cracking had been right, and there were streaks of lava shown on the map that led all the way through Capitol City, breaking it into two.

Next, the screens above us flicked on, getting ready to announce the teams for the match. I saw my name put next to Bloodhound and Pathfinder, causing me to grin. Bloodhound squeezed my hand as the two of us walked over to the jump zone, where Pathfinder was already waiting.

"Hi, friends!" he exclaimed. "Are you ready to win?"

"Always!" I replied, laughing a little. I had been a bit worried about my first match back since I had been shot in the shoulder by.... He had been put onto Mirage's team. Mirage looked very unhappy about the fact, maybe even a little afraid. Had I not been afraid myself of Revenant, I would have laughed at Mirage.

"Where would you like to land, friends?" Pathfinder asked, interrupting my thoughts. I shrugged and looked over to Bloodhound.

"Overlook will provide decent loot," they said.

"This will be fun," I said quietly, now leaning on Bloodhound's shoulder. "We haven't been on a team together in a while."

"And, now everyone knows we're dating," they grumbled. I looked down at my hand, which was still in theirs. I began to pull away,

"If it makes you uncom-"

"No. This is nice." I grinned and gave their hand a slight squeeze. I looked over at our third teammate, who was looking at us rather curiously. I watched the question mark appear on his screen when he looked down at his own hand, then back at Bloodhound and I. He made an attempt to reach out for my other hand but quickly put his hand back down. I rolled my eyes and held out my hand.

"Can friends hold hands?" he asked, looking at it.

"Of course!" Pathfinder's screen flicked to a happy face as he grabbed my hand. "We ready to jump?" I asked, looking at both of my teammates. The floor had just started to lower. They both nodded, so I gripped their hands a little harder and lept, dragging them both down with me while I laughed.

"Look, friends!" Pathfinder exclaimed, breaking away from us. "I'm flying!" I giggled as I watched him flap his arms in the air while we dropped. I shifted my gaze to Bloodhound, who had their arms folded in front of them as they did a flip through the air. I thought for a moment of a cool thing I could do as we fell, deciding a classic Spider-Man pose would be good enough.