Chapter 2

With the ring right behind me, I sprinted the rest of the way inside. I put my hands on my knees and caught my breath. As I did I realized that I was curious as to what the ring felt like and without thinking I stuck my hand in it.

"Ouch!" I cried out as I pulled my hand back in. I cradled it to my chest, that thing really did hurt. I couldn't imagine getting stuck in it. Up head of me in some buildings I heard more gunfire. I looked down at the two guns I had and realized that I needed to get something better. Maybe even a better shield. The only way to do that however would be to get involved in whatever fight was unfolding in front of me. I quickly weighed the choices in my head. "Well," I mumbled. "I do have the other ability." As I talked to myself I remembered what they had told me back before I had got onto the ship about the amount of cameras everywhere. They wanted a good show. I shook my head, "And if I die," I continued speaking out loud for the audience that I didn't even think would be watching me. "Then I'll be going out in a blaze of glory." I pulled out the mozambique since it was lighter and easy to carry and jogged over to the buildings. I could see one of the guys behind cover reloading his gun while the other moved up. The other guy didn't even see him coming.

Once he took the shot I made my move and rushed at the one still standing. I pulled the trigger back on the gun I was holding, believing that I had the advantage. However, it appeared as if this shotgun was not a good one and the spray from it barely even touched the guy. He turned around, saw me, and laughed while pulling out his gun again. My eyes went wide and I did a silent prayer that my other ability would work for me. The next thing I knew I looked down at myself and grinned as I noticed that it worked. I was invisible.

"What the Hell?!" The man exclaimed. He fired his gun to where I had been standing but I had already moved. I whipped out my other gun had the barrel against his head, just as I became visible. The man cursed again right before I pulled the trigger. The gun turned out to have a three round burst and caused blood splattered everywhere, including on myself. I closed my eyes and wiped some of it off of me while taking a moment to breathe again. Then I heard a groan around the corner. Confused, I slowly walked around the corner to where the other guy had been.

He was lying on the ground, clutching his side with one arm and trying to apply a medkit with the other.

"Shit." We said at the same time. I aimed my gun at him and he held his arms up.

"Please," he said, his voice weak. "I don't have a respawn." His words hit me like a rock. I squeezed my eyes shut, was I really going to do this? Kill someone so that I might have a chance to live? He was already helpless. "Please," he said again. I shook my head.

"I'm sorry," I said, holding back a sob. "I don't have one either." I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger again. His body slumped over and was now looking up at me with nothing in his eyes.

"Attention," a voice boomed. "There is a new kill leader." I looked down at my screen and saw my face staring back. I fell to my knees and put my head in my hands. What was I doing?!

I sat like that for a few minutes, trying to regain my composure, I knew now for sure there would be people watching me if I was the kill leader. I didn't want to look weak in front of them so I stood back up. The ring would be moving again soon. I looked back at the body and saw that the man had the same gun that I had at the start of the match.

"I'm sorry," I said again as I reached across his body and pulled it off of him, leaving behind the faulty shotgun.

"Attention. There is a new kill leader." It had been nearly half an hour since I left behind my two victims to get into the next ring. I was grateful that I had managed to avoid any other confrontation with enemies. The new kill leader was Mirage, with four kills now. The screen told me that there were only two people left alive. Me and him. I gulped. How could that many people have died already?! The next ring was getting small and I realized that I was going to have to face the Legend. I took a few more deep breaths before I moved in further. This was it. I closed my eyes and thought back to Sky who was depending on my win for her freedom. I shook out my arms and reloaded my guns.

"Now or never."

I carefully made my way inside the ring as it closed behind me, if I could get the jump on this guy, maybe, just maybe, I would stand a chance. As I walked I began to take notice of all of the blood around me. There had been a battle here. I looked around and saw a body across the way. And crouching in front of the body, looting it, Mirage.

Now, in hindsight, I should have taken into consideration the person that I was about to be fighting and what they were capable of. However, my instincts reacted before my brain could and I fell right into his trap. I shot the decoy.

"For god's sake!" I shouted. How could I be that stupid?! I had pulled my gun out ready to fire however I had no idea where to be aiming. At least, until I heard laughing behind me.

"Yeah, I hear that can get confusing." I quickly racked my brain for a way out. He had to be thinking that he was going to come out of this victorious, that I had no way out. I grinned a little when I realized that he didn't know I could go invisible. "Sorry you have to die-" he started but he closed his mouth as he watched me disappear. I was exhausted and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep myself invisible for much longer so I bolted towards the only building that was left inside the ring. A tiny shack with one door. I felt myself go visible just as I got inside so I took that moment to close the door.

"Up," I muttered. "Gotta go up."

"Another trickster huh?" I heard Mirage say from outside the building. "You do realize you've trapped yourself?" I looked down at my map,

"Yeah well at least I'm in the ring," I said back with the same level of snarkiness. I was now perched right above the door frame, this time with my wingman out and ready.

"Knock, knock," Mirage said as he began to push the door open. I saw the barrel of his gun scanning the tiny room. He slunk into the room to check all of the corners. When he didn't find me he put a hand to his hip, lowering his gun. I lined up my shot.

"Yeah," I said causing him to spin around and look up. "I hear that can get confusing." His eyes went wide as he realized he didn't have time to get his gun aimed at me again. My gun fired and the bullet missed his head, where I had been aiming, and instead went through his neck. In the few seconds before he fell over he began to make a reach for his gun. While keeping my hands attached to the wall behind me, I kicked my legs forward into his chest and knocked him to the ground which soon became covered in blood.

"Attention. Winner decided."