Chapter 48

The team that was across the river had the advantage over us as they were inside the next ring and we in Bunker were not.

"What's the plan?" I asked looking between Wattson and Caustic. The ring was closing in a minute and I could see both of them lost in thought of a plan that would have us coming out of this situation alive.

"I can provide cover with my gas for us to loot the people outside for better gear," Caustic said a second later. He looked over to me and I nodded and then went on. "Since you have a sniper rifle Sly you can provide cover as we push up." I felt myself gulp,

"I'm not really the best shot with-"

"Let's move," Caustic interrupted. I sighed and watched as he opened up the doors to Bunker. He threw down a couple of his gas barrels and shot at them so the green gas would provide cover for the three of us. Wattson ran out and threw down her interceptor pylon as well, just in time as the team across from us had begun throwing grenades. The three of us each ran to a different body that was in front of Bunker that had been killed to loot. I drew the short straw and only came out with a P2020 to add to my arsonal. As I moved through Caustic's gas I took a second to appreciate that he had actually given me a gas mask that worked. Maybe he wasn't that bad. As the gas began to fade away the team across from us began shooting.

"Sly!" Wattson exclaimed. "Cover us!"

"I can try!" I yelled back while propping the sniper onto one of the open supply bins outside of Bunker. I had managed to get a sniper scope on the rifle and now I could see the team we were shooting at. It was Mirage's team. All three of them were shooting at Wattson and Caustic so I started randomly popping shots in the general direction of them, just enough so they would duck into cover and let my team run. Once the two of them had made it to the next house over they started shooting and gave me a chance to turn invisible and run to join them. Once in the house I quickly ran up the stairs to take another sniping position in the windows. "Two of them are coming towards us!" I yelled back down to my team where I could hear them setting up a new line of defence. "I call Mirage!"

I turned back to the window and began to focus on the team approaching. From outside I could see Pathfinder and two Mirage's running towards us through the river. I knew I wouldn't be able to actually hit a shot on either of them so I started looking around for the third member of the team. A few seconds later I saw the glint of a rifle hidden among some of the tall grass across the river. I zoomed in my scope and saw Bloodhound lying there with a perfect shot lined up on me. I felt myself inhale sharply but a second later they still hadn't taken a shot. Even though their team was literally attacking mine a floor below. I tilted my head and adjusted my grip on my sniper, looking back to Bloodhound who still hadn't moved. They had to know I was watching and had a decent shot lined up as well. Why weren't they firing?

"Sly?!" I heard Caustic yell from downstairs, his voice getting mixed with the sounds of gunfire and gas traps going off.

"Coming!" I yelled but not before looking back out the window, but Bloodhound was gone. I quickly shook my head, trying to focus myself and pulled out my P2020 while attaching myself to the ceiling instead of walking down the stairs and crawled. Once I was at the bottom I could see that Mirage was already dead as some of Caustic's gas had leaked through the window slits. "I said I called Mirage!" I exclaimed as I dropped down to the ground. Caustic looked back over at me and I could tell from the look in his eyes he was not wanting to put up with me. "But it's, it's fine." I quickly added, causing him to huff. I heard the sound of Pathfinder's grapple and realized that I should've stayed on the top floor of the building. I quickly ran up only to meet Pathfinder in the middle of kicking the door down. I started unloading the tiny clip in the P2020 into him but then realized he was wielding a Prowler. I took a step backwards, hoping to get better footing however I forgot that I was standing at the top of the staircase and I second later I went tumbling down, cursing which each thud of me going down a stair, finishing with a loud smack as my head collided with the floor.