Chapter 69

Quite a few of the legends had decided to come to the event tonight. Some legends had a word or two to say to the new guy, mostly just Bangalore, and rumour of free food at the venue drew the rest. Even Caustic came out of his hole. Most of us had dressed up a bit for the occasion, only Bloodhound remained in what they usually wore for the games. Although I did notice they changed pairs of gloves, opting for black instead of red, which I guess counted as dressing up for them.

"You guys don't think this guy is going to be that big of a jerk in person... right?" I asked no one in particular.

"He's going to be my second best friend!" Pathfinder chirped up. "I even made him a friendship bracelet!" I raised my eyebrows, wondering if he understood the comments Forge had made about him.

"I bet he'll be fine!" Gibraltar exclaimed. "Guys like that need to act like that' in his profession."

"Oh, I've seen him outside his 'profession'," Bangalore muttered. "Guy's a total jackass." I nodded a few times,

"That makes me feel better."

"It'll be fine!" Lifeline said. "Everyone's gonna keep things civil so the night'll swing by! Right?" she asked, eyeing her girlfriend.

"Fine," she grumbled. "But if he throws the first punch..."

"I just hope he'll sign my trading cards," Octane interrupted the conversation. Everyone glared at him. "What?! They're mint condition! They'll be worth more than all of us someday!"

"That's what they said about my signed Marvel comics," I mumbled, loud enough for everyone to hear. "I spent a couple hundred so RDJ would sign an Iron Man one at a con and a couple extra on a cosplay, and now they're both probably in the ocean after everyone flooded that place."

"I understand some of those words," Mirage said. I was about to try to explain when the ship we were in shook, signaling we were landing. "At least we don't have to jump out this time, hey guys?" Mirage asked the group with a laugh. A minute later the doors opened, the ship having landed in the field across from Sorting Factory. I laced my fingers through Bloodhound's as we walked off of the ship.

"It feels weird being here without a gun in my hands," I said.

"It's peaceful," Bloodhound nodded. As we approached Sorting, it was apparent that they had decked the place out for the event today. For a brief second, I wondered how they would've cleaned up all of the blood and bullet shells from the ground in only a couple of hours. Now instead of bullets, there were bright lights, cameras, and even a red carpet.

"All this for one guy?" I muttered. "This better be some interesting interview." I heard Bloodhound chuckle a little as we walked in. Most of the cameras were set up on a couple of chairs, where I assumed the interview was going to be taking place. A few others were focused on us as we walked in, snapping pictures as we walked in. I felt Bloodhound tighten their grip. "It's okay," I said to them. "We don't have to-" I offered, loosening my grip on their hand, but they shook their head.

"May as well give them something else to talk about other than the new legend," I could hear the grin in their voice. "After all, one short interview isn't going to be much to talk about for long." I laughed with them as we followed the rest of the legends over to where the food table was set up, ignoring the questions reporters were asking as we walked by. I decided to head straight for the desserts and grabbed a cupcake to snack on.

A few minutes passed, and nothing exciting had happened yet.

"I'm beginning to regret my appearance," I heard Caustic say, who had already downed two full bowls of chilli.