Chapter 47

The next morning I found myself feeling nervous for the match I was about to play. I hadn't played or trained in a few weeks and it was the first time I had Caustic on my team. There was also the fact that Bloodhound was on the opposing team and they were going to try and kill me. Not that that was unusual during the games but it still felt like another thing to be concerned about. We were driving towards the arena in Mirage's car when I realized he was waving his hand in front of my face.

"Hello? Earth to Sly?" he exclaimed. I blinked a few times.

"Yes, sorry, what did you say?" I hadn't been paying any attention to what he was rambling on about this morning, my mind was far to distracted.

"I said, I'm thinking today is the day I finally kill you."

"Right, yeah," I mumbled without looking over.

"You still weren't listening were you?" I was gripping the mask in my hands, wondering about what I would say if I ran into Bloodhound in the arena. "Sly?!" Mirage practically yelled, causing me to jump out of my seat. I looked over at him, bewildered. "Are you sure you're good enough to be going into the arena today?" I could hear the concern in his voice. "The IMC isn't going to be going after you, if that's what you're worried about." I forced a grin,

"Yeah." Mirage sighed and gave me a pat on the shoulder with his free hand.

"It'll be fun! It's always interesting having Caustic on your team!"

"I'm a little worried he's just going to kill me." Mirage laughed a little,

"I think he's only ever killed one of his teammates. At least, 'purposefully'" he made air quotations as he said purposefully and I looked over at Mirage.

"Wait, really?!"

"Oh yeah, the people in charge of Apex were not happy with him. Banned him for a couple of months." I whistled.

"What about the other times then?"

"After that first time he always makes it look accidental, but we all know." Mirage looked over at my worried face and laughed, "Don't worry. He only ever does it when he gets paired with random people. He considers them far to dumb. Which he's not that wrong about."

"Doesn't he also concider me far to dumb?" Mirage shrugged. "That's reassuring," I said with a small grin. Mirage noticed me smiling and nudged me a little,

"There she is," he said, seeming pleased. "Now, you should keep that up, for the cameras."

"Don't remind me."

~~~~~~

After meeting up with Wattson and Caustic and getting our respawns we made our way to the drop ship.

"So we're just headed right to bunker?" I asked, feeling nervous again. Caustic nodded once,

"We will need time to set up a defence."

"Right, got it."

"You still have that tag I gave you last game?" Wattson asked. I nodded a few time and motioned to the small device she had given me so that I would be able to pass through her fences without getting zapped to death. "Caustic will give you a gas mask as well!" she said happily. Both of us looked over to Caustic. We locked eyes and for a second I started to wonder if he was just going to let me die in his gas. "Caustic?" Wattson said a second later. Caustic sighed,

"If you insist," he mumbled while reaching into his bag to pull out a gas mask. I took it with a grin, "It should work over your mask."

"Thanks," I said as I looked over the mask. I heard Caustic mumble something under his breath that I couldn't quite understand. I decided not to worry about it and put the mask in place. I saw Mirage and his sitting down on the other side of the drop ship and walked over. "How do I look?" I asked Mirage. Mirage looked at the gas mask over my face and shook his head.