Chapter 39

"Please tell me we got everything we needed." I said the second I woke up. Wattson grinned and held up a flash drive. "Thank god," I said, sinking back down into the respawn bed. "How did the rest of the game go?" I asked a second later.

"It was a victory," Bloodhound replied while leaning up against the wall. I grinned,

"Good work. Sorry I wasn't that much help." Bloodhound shook their head.

"You did fine. Had you not taken out Gibraltar we would have lost that battle." I smiled again and it fell silent in the room.

"We should go get the others," Wattson finally said. "See what we found." I nodded and got out of the bed I was in.

"Was Mirage pissed when Wraith killed me?" I asked as we walked down the hallways of the respawn building. Natalie giggled a little,

"He was to distracted ranting to her that I was able to trap them in the building they were in." I chuckled,

"Figures." We walked in silence for a few steps when suddenly I got worried about putting Mirage and Natalie together after what Mirage had told me. "So uh," I started a few seconds later. "If you don't want to see Mirage..." I trailed of and Natalie looked at me a little funny.

"Why would I not want to see him?" I faked a grin and shrugged a little,

"I just heard that things were pretty, weird between the two of you."

"Did he tell you that?" I nodded and she laughed a little and muttered something in French that I couldn't understand.

"Did he make it seem more dramatic than it actually was?" she nodded. "He does have a tendency to do that I've noticed." she laughed again.

"I wasn't aware that any of it was dramatic." I tilted my head and she went on, "I wanted to get a little more serious and he didn't. Quite simple really."

"So you're saying you didn't leave the planet because of him?" I said with a small laugh.

"I left the planet to go study on Gaea! Why would I leave over a boy? That's preposterous!"

~~~~~~~~

The six of us all went back to Mirage's house after we had dealt with the press outside the arena. As expected, we all were asked many questions about what we were doing with the terminals. We tried to play it as if we didn't know what the other squad was up to, but I could tell that no one was buying our story of it being a coincidence.

I quickly shook my worry away once we were able to loose all of the press on our trip back home. We knew that there was going to be more questions with all of us leaving together so we had some of the other legends meet us at the arena as if to make it seem like we had something normal planned.

It surprised me that all of the legends had no problem with helping me and Wraith. They didn't even ask that many questions to what we were looking for. Even Caustic wanted to help, claiming he was 'repaying the favor' for when I had 'assisted' him with his research that one night.

We were all lounging around in Mirage's living room watching the match on T.V as Wattson and Mirage combined the data they found and began to comb through it with the help of Pathfinder. Caustic had also tried to help, seeming to be friends with Wattson but Mirage had shooed him away after he had made a comment about Mirage's arrogance.

"So you think the IMC froze you?" Bangalore was asking me once the game had ended. I took a sip from my drink,

"Well, no, they didn't exist yet." Wraith had wanted the fact that she was also from 2019 to stay between Mirage, Pathfinder, and I which I was okay with however it was making it harder to try and make my story more believable. However even though we were lying, a had a feeling that the others knew that Wraith and I were connected in some way.

"Then why the suspicion? We all aren't bad." I had a feeling I was approaching a touchy subject with the soldier. Luckily I was saved as Lifeline wrapped an arm around her,

"No, you aren't," she said with a grin, pulling the other closer to her. Bangalore rolled her eyes at her girlfriend but didn't protest being held. However she did look back up at me, still waiting for an answer to her question.

"I just," I sighed, "Just have a hunch. I don't know, it sounds dumb but like at one point I was technically government property. Since the same governments aren't around it makes sense, at least in my mind, for other powerful organizations to gain control over what they had in the past. Myself included." A few people around the room were nodding along with me and even though I had made up that excuse on the spot although as I said it I realized that was very well what could have happened.

"Makes sense," Bangalore finally said a second later, causing me to sigh in relief. I knew that I didn't want to start a fight about the IMC with anyone, much less an old soldier from it.

"Alright kids," Mirage said walking into the living room where we were all sitting. "I think we may have something legible!"

"I'm older than you," I huffed as I stood up.

"Was that true about you two being related?" Octane asked a second later.

"Unfortunately," Mirage responded with a sigh before looking over to me. "I still can't believe you told everyone."

"It's better than having them think we're dating!"

"Should I take offence to that?" Mirage asked, causing a few people to grin. "Now should we?"

"Hang on," Wraith said, stepping into the room, it was clear by her stance that her voices were acting up. "Somethings not right." All eyes turned to her, waiting for an answer. She had a death grip on her hair, grasping the side of her head as if it were an attempt to quiet down the voices. Mirage went up to her and grabbed the hand off of her head and held it.

"Take your time," he said in a calming voice. The pain had now knocked Wraith to the ground and purple sparks were flying out of her fingertips and Mirage was doing his best to support her. He looked over at me and I could see the clear worry in his eyes. "Are you sure it's not just acting up?" Mirage asked to Wraith, making me wonder if this was a more frequent occurrence. Wraith shook her head,

"I can't-" she started. "Can't understand."

"It's okay," Mirage commented. I looked around at the other faces in the room, some of them looking worried as well. I looked back down to Wraith and watched as suddenly her eyes turned silver.

"They're coming," she said.

"Who?" Mirage asked. Wraith stood up and looked around the room, her face whiter than ever.

"The IMC."