Chapter 49

I ended up getting bombordered by reporters as we got off the ship taking us back to the mainland. I had wanted to go wait for Mirage to wake up, but he ended up having to rescue me from the ever growing list of questions I was being asked.

I didn't mind answering the questions as I knew it would be a chance to make my few week disappearance I had seem less suspicious. Although, on the spot, I may have answered a few in a way that made it seem even more suspicious than it really was. I was in the middle of trying to explain my recent re-discovery of popcorn to the cameras when I saw Mirage making his way through the crowd, waving to the cameras. He came up to me and put an arm around my shoulder as he began to answer a few of the questions before finally pulling the both of us away from the scenario.

However once we got back in the car it fell dead silent between the two of us. I could tell Mirage had something on his mind so after a few minutes of driving in silence I finally asked.

"What you thinking about?" I asked in a decently cheerful voice. Mirage looked over at me and pursed his lips, "What?!" I asked again.

"That panic attack you had," he started. I groaned a little,

"You saw that?" He nodded once,

"It wasn't because you saw me dead, was it?" I felt my face flush and I quickly turned away to look out the window of the car. "I knew it!" Mirage exclaimed. "Something did happen!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I mumbled.

"Please," Mirage went on. "You're talking to the King of Romance! I know sexual tension when I see it."

"Weird brag," I interrupted.

"But I'm right, aren't I? You two..." he looked over at me and wiggled his eyebrows. I smacked him,

"No! God no!" Now he simply raised his eyebrows and refused to break eye contact with me. Finally I caved, "It was just a kiss." Mirage grinned wide and smacked the steering wheel in excitement,

"Look at you go!" I put my head in my hands in embarrassment. "That explains why they weren't into me! They're into girls!"

"That's your first thought?!"

"What? It's good to know it wasn't me." Now I raised my eyebrows. "Okay,"
Mirage went on, ignoring my look, "What was it like?"

"Doesn't matter," I sighed. "They made it pretty clear when I left they didn't want to keep seeing me."

"Ah," Mirage said. "That's why you were sulking yesterday." I didn't say anything. "Well if it means anything, Bloodhound left in quite the hurry today after watching the footage of our fight."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Mirage shrugged.

"Well, I pointed out that it looked like they had had a clear shot on you but they got flustered and left when I mentioned it so..." he trailed off.

"I saw that to." Mirage grinned again.

"You just gotta give them time, clearly they're not over you." I rolled my eyes a little.

"I don't know Mirage," I shook my head. "Can we change the topic please?"

"Well, Tav is coming over for dinner tonight." I tilted my head,

"Tav?"

"Octavio!"

"Why?"

"We're kind of a thing now," he said casually. I looked over at Mirage, bewildered,