Chapter 44

It was hard for me to sleep that night. I had spent the rest of the day pacing around their house, trying to keep myself busy to stop my worrying. Bloodhound was still lying on the couch as I didn't dare try to move them. They seemed to be in a stable condition but had yet to wake up again. There was a small arm chair in the corner of Bloodhound's living room that I decided to try and sleep on, although it wasn't the most comfortable sleeping positions.

I found myself periodically waking up throughout the night in a cold sweat, after having dreams where I kept finding Bloodhound dead. After the third nightmare I decided I had enough sleep and went to check on Bloodhound again. I had managed to clean most of the blood off of them and removed most of their heavy gear hoping it would make them more comfortable.

Since I was up early, I took time to try and give cooking another go, figuring when Bloodhound woke up they would be hungry. I spent nearly twenty minutes staring into the pantry then going to stare at the fridge and back again, hoping I would think of something to make. I looked over to Arthur, who had yet to leave Bloodhound's side since we got back.

"Any ideas?" I asked him. The bird looked at me and tilted his head. I sighed and grabbed a couple of eggs from the fridge, deciding it would be the easiest thing to make. As I got out a pan and began to fry the eggs Arthur flew over to me and sat on the counter beside the stove, watching me cook. "You're probably hungry to hey?" Upon saying the word hungry I saw him fluff his feathers. I opened up the fridge again and tried to think of what I had seen Bloodhound feed Arthur before. "What do you want?" I asked the bird over my shoulder. Arthur replied by flying into the fridge and pulling out a small container, which had some dead insects inside. "Ah," I said as I opened it up. "I probably should've been able to figure that one out myself."

I set the container of food down and Arthur happily hopped onto the counter and began to eat some of the bugs. I turned back around to the stove, having more success this time around cooking when I heard movement coming from the couch. I looked over and saw Bloodhound finally stirring and I began to walk over. It seemed as they had heard me and spun their head around to face me. They quickly realized they were still without a helmet and I saw their face flush before they spun back around.

"Sly?" they started a second later, sounding embarrassed. "Where is my helmet?" As they spoke I noticed that their Icelandic accent sounded even thicker without the voice changer they had in the helmet.

"It's on the table," I replied. "Although, it's not really in the best of shape." As I said this I watched as they brought a hand up to the side of their head, resting it on where the bandages were, but only wincing a second later, lowering their hand. "Do you remember what happened?" I asked. They nodded.

"It was a Golaith," they said quietly. "I should've seen it but my mind was distracted." They mumbled a word in their native language that I only assumed was a curse.

"It's not your fault." I heard Bloodhound huff at my statement and started trying to get up. "Can I help?" I asked after watching them struggle to sit up on the couch, trying not to rip any of the stitches. They shook their head but a few seconds later sighed.

"Please," they said quietly. I nodded and helped ease them up onto the couch so that they were leaning across. As I did I noticed that some of the bandages on their head had started soaking through.

"Can I look at your stitches?" Bloodhound was looking down at the ground, not wanting to make eye contact with me. "Please?" I asked. They were silent. "Alright fine. Good luck trying to do it on your own." With that statement I started walking back to the kitchen.

"Wait!" Bloodhound interrupted. "I'm sorry." I looked over at them and for the first time since I had taken their helmet off they looked at me. "I just-" they sighed and ran a hand over their face. "I don't like being seen like this." They looked back down.

"I get it," I said a second later. "But it's just me here. You can trust me."

"I know." I grinned a little,

"Now. Can I look at your stitches?" They nodded and I walked back over to the couch. "Can you sit up?" I asked. Bloodhound nodded and I helped them sit up so that I could sit beside them. I began to take off some of the bandages, causing Bloodhound to wince. "Sorry," I said. Once the bandages were off I noticed that one of the stitches had ripped. "I'm going to need to fix a stitch." I told Bloodhound. They didn't reply as I pulled the first aid kit out again and began to thread the needle. This time they didn't flinch as I began to fix the stitches and it fell silent between the two of us.

"How did you find me?" Bloodhound finally asked a minute later. I laughed a little,

"Arthur actually. He came to get me." I heard Bloodhound chuckle.

"He is a smart bird."

"You trained him well," I said. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked a second later. "Although I think I know the answer."

"If you must."

"Am I the first of the legends to see your face?" I heard them take a sharp inhale as I asked the question. "You know, nevermind-" I started.

"Yes," they interrupted. "Although, you were also the first not to ask why I covered it." I shrugged,

"Figured you had your reasons." I had finished fixing the stitches and I pulled out a cloth and began to clean some of the blood again before I put new bandages on.

"Is it what you were expecting?" They turned their heads around so that I could look at them again. I thought for a second.

"I mean, I didn't really know what to expect. Don't have any complaints." I laughed a little, "Although I didn't think your eyes would actually be red."

"Is that a good thing?" they asked, suddenly sounding embarrassed.

"Are you kidding?! It's so cool!" I gushed. "Like I thought it was just something you did to your goggles!" I could see from behind them that Bloodhound blushed a little. I grinned as I finished putting the last bandages on. "There," I said. "All better."

"Þakka," Bloodhound replied, leaning back into the couch, nearly right against me. I tilted my head and tried to repeat the word the word they had just said. "Þakka," they said again. It means thanks." I grinned and also leaned further back on the couch so that our shoulders were touching.

"I think there's a match starting soon. Wanna watch it?" Bloodhound shook their head,

"You had said there was a movie from your time, about the Allfather?" I felt myself grinning even wider,

"You want to watch Thor?!" Bloodhound nodded. "Really?! Not even Mirage wants to watch that with me!"

"We could give it a go."