Chapter 3 - Facing Imminent Danger, Parting Ways

On the second day, I ate and drank my fill, contentedly sitting in the prisoner's cart with Xiao Huangto head towards the capital. Xiao Huang stroked the thin white cotton cloth wrapped on top of my head, blinking his big, watery eyes. Marveling, "Xiao Yi, yesterday the white cloth I saw covering your head was still old and dirty, in the course of one night, how did it become new?"

.....Can I say that this thin white cotton cloth was torn from Yan Ping's inner garment?

Xiao Huang hearing this, would be scared to the point where his eyeballs drop out, right?

Since long before, Yan Ping has hated me to the bones. Even I don't understand. I only just told him that I am a female, but unexpectedly, was able to provoke the protective feelings he had towards the fairer sex, causing him to tear his own inner garments for me to wrap my wound.

I rubbed my face. Coarse skin, thick flesh, obviously not considered charming features.....that year, when he used the strategy of seducing me with his male beauty, I gave him all my beauty and soul....if it was that year....if it was that year, how great would that be?

That year, I hated that I couldn't shatter my flesh and dissolve my bones for him....

It's a pity, last night when he bound my head wound for me, a single line was spat out, "Based on your skills, you should have been able to avoid it, so why didn't you avoid it?"

That pair of gentle eyes steadily watched me. After so many years, I still cannot feel out his thoughts, and nowadays, am disinclined to waste my consideration. Immediately I laughed, "I'm a man!"

He knocked me once on the head. Right away, a rivulet of blood flowed out, but I was completely senseless to it and was still smiling brilliantly. His color changed, hastily fishing out blood-staunching medicine from his bosom. He forcefully poured it onto my head, all the while reproaching, "Don't you know how to feel pain? And know how to try and dodge....."

Presently I am without money, without anyone but myself. Without love and without hate. Even without worries. I was thus without fear that he was scheming something. Smiling, I bit into the meat pancake he had brought over and unconcernedly said, "Doesn't hurt. Since long ago, I haven't known how to feel pain."

He became furious, ferociously saying "An Yi, don't play the fool in front of me! What temper you have, you think I don't know?"

I continued chewing my meat pancake, blankly thinking, what kind of temper do I have?

The An Yi of the past swore to Yan Ping that.....but that was only just the past.

The past has long ago become floating dust!

Suddenly I felt my body get pricked. It truly did not hurt. I kept eating my meat pancake as before, thinking to first fill my stomach, but he, flustered and exasperated, stole my meat pancake and threw it onto the floor, angrily saying "Eat eat eat, you only know how to eat! This is the most painful acupuncture point on a person's body. You can actually endure it?"

I remorsefully picked up that half of a meat pancake, blew off the dust on top, and continued to stuff it into my mouth, really not understanding why the once gentle person was now irritable to this degree. Not wanting to anger him, in the end I could not help but speak the truth, "Since three years ago, I have already not been able to feel pain.....I've tried it out. Whether it be grabbing a pincushion or a sword to stab with, I never feel pain."

The surprise in his eyes became stronger, along with what appeared to be sorrow, as though it was he himself who had lost his sense of pain. If I didn't know that he has always extremely disliked me, without even a thread of romantic feelings towards me, I'm afraid I would be under the impression that his heart was aching for me. I patted his shoulder with my oily hands, conceitedly smiling, "Actually, this is also nothing. Without pain, that year, in the battle between the great Chen and the great Qi, I was able to charge ahead without fearing death. In any case, there was no longer any pain. Even if I were to die, it would be nothing more than to lose consciousness."