Chapter 12 Not Having Appetite is a Small Matter

The next day after my first meeting with Feng Zhao Wen that year, I was playing with Xiao Huang in the Eastern Palace when we received a decree from the emperor.

The Crown Prince of the Great Qi travelled far to get here; and since the Crown Prince of the Eastern Palace was unhealthy, His Majesty instructed a couple of young officials to accompany the Crown Prince to replace Xiao Huang.

My heart raced as I kneeled to receive that decree.

Once I managed to coax away Xiao Huang who was adamant to follow me, I ran towards the posthouse while panting heavily. I froze when I saw a gentle young man, drinking tea while sitting opposite of Feng Zhao Wen.

Turned out that the young officials chosen were just me and Yan Ping!

If this was any other day, I would have jumped in glee. Unfortunately, when the eyes of the Crown Prince of Great Qi swept over me in interest, all the excitement within me died.

The Crown Prince laughed faintly, refined like wind. "There are sayings that there are two famous officials in court; each are outstanding in their own rights. This is why this prince invited you two over, hope you will not mind." Whether he meant it or not, his words put people on edge.

He must be interested to watch me playing push and pull with Yan Ping; that was why he called us both over to watch the fun.

The oblivious Yan Ping was very courteous: "What are you saying, Your Highness? It is an honor for Yan Ping to stroll in the imperial city with you!"

Tears flooded my heart like a river..... He had never treated me that warmly before! Other than 'get lost' or 'let go' he usually would not say anything to acknowledge me. Most of the time, he would only silently kick me away.

But, for someone who was foolishly in love, I couldn't stop myself from praising him: See! Yan Xiao Lang was an outstanding person. Even when he opened the door to let the robbers in, he did it beautifully!

(TN: Xiao Lang (小郎) means young man.)

Even though I knew I shouldn't blindly copied Yan Ping who was buttering up the Crown Prince of Great Qi; putting up my guards against him was pretty hard.

Feng Zhao Wen inherited the good-looks of the Great Qi's imperial family. He was knowledgeable and outstanding to boot; he really was different than the dandy young royals I had in mind. The way he interacted with Yan Ping was like old friends who had stumbled upon each other again.

Yan Ping spent a couple of days strolling around with Feng Zhou Wen; showing him the prosperity of the lives within the city. Actually, I used to follow my father to a village 800 li from the city. The people there were starving and were living in poverty; it was completely different from the lives of the people in the imperial city.

Seeing Yan Ping getting more and more adept at being your common everyday official, I was truly unhappy. It was like a stretch of white silk stained by a drop of ink. I even started wondering if he was truly the lofty and righteous young man that I secretly loved.

But, not long after, I cheered up once again. It was just a drop of ink ma; nothing big really! One day, I will wash it clean using my magnanimous self! Besides, standing next to Feng Zhao Wen made Yan Ping even more attractive to me; my discontent slowly lessened.

One day, while all three of us were eating while enjoying the scenery, I placed a plum cake in the Crown Prince's plate; it was out of habit from all those time I spent with Xiao Huang. After that, I placed one in Yan Ping's bowl as well.

Upon realizing that I had just given one to Yan Ping, I froze.

————how could I commit such a big mistake!