Chapter 16 The Belated Proposal

Tian Bing Qing said that three years ago, after seeing me and the late emperor of the Great Chen in the burning Jin Xiu Pavillion, Feng Zhao Wen was heartbroken. He didn't eat or sleep for many days. He ordered people to clean after the fire. Once he investigated everything that happened in Jin Xiu Pavillion, he secretly ordered people to search for me throughout the entire kingdom.

Tian Bing Qing also told me that those concubines were no different than the flowers in the flower garden; they were mere decorations. Even though their palaces were glorious, it was no different than the cold palace.

The words he said before, I didn't believe. The words he said after, en..... I also didn't believe.

I burrowed myself deep in the dragon bed while gnawing on caramelized pork hock. Father once told me that flowery words said to maidens were the least credible thing in the world.

I had blinked curiously at him back then, "What about the flowery words you said to Mother? Were they not credible either?"

Father slapped me on the back, "Is your father the same as those fickle men?"

I had clung onto his arms and pulled his sleeves, quickly currying favor, "Of course not! My father is loyal; how can he be compared to those fickle men who speak empty words!"

That's why I didn't believe what Tian Bing Qing said. I also didn't believe in Feng Zhao Wen's so called undying love.

With that in mind, I eat what I could eat and sleep where I could sleep. Even though Feng Zhao Wen returned every night to criticize memorials, I remained unperturbed. If Father was still alive, he would have praised me for having a willpower stronger than a mountain; taking after him.

He was the kind that never hesitated to praise himself.

Even though I mostly followed his teachings, I too will have moments where I second guessed myself.

Seeing him coming to bed early one night, I half-reclined on a pillow on the bed, curiously asking, "Your Majesty, you goes in and out of the harem every day, have you ever sense that aggrieved air?"

At that moment, he had just finished bathing. His satin-like hair was let loose as he heads towards the dragon bed and laid down, his head on my little tummy.

"Are you trying to scare zhen with your ghost stories?"

I thought his hair was really interesting. It was soft and luminous, pleasing to the touch. His position today made it really easy for me to take advantage of that. I casually toyed with his hair, "Your Majesty has never called for any concubines after I came here. This made me feel really guilty. All those concubines in the harem are lonely and deserted, can't you feel their great grievance?"

His phoenix eyes were dangerously narrowed as his sword-like eyes fell on me, "An Yi, are you trying to tell zhen to call for concubines to serve for the night?"

I didn't know where it went wrong..... I was just trying to see if what Tian Bing Qing said was right.

The emperor clearly couldn't get my humor. He carried me up like he would to a chicken. He took the dragon robe he took off moments ago and wrapped them around my body. He then coarsely sent me out to the door. "You heartless girl..... You have no conscience, your heart is made of stone..... I will summon a concubine to serve me now!" After he said that, he opened the door and forcefully pushed me out before slamming the door close.

I was dumbfounded. Facing the door, I finally had the chance to talk back. "....... Can't he go to the concubine's palace instead? Must he kick me out of Zhong Hua Palace?"