Chapter 33 The Big Conman vs the Little Conman

Feng Zhao Wen developed a new kind of illness lately. Every time he returned from the court, he would stare at me with eyes full of grief and pain. From time to time, he would call for physicians to check my pulse.

I had grown numb to that. I could only stuff my stomach with tonics.

Today, taking advantage of him going to the morning court, I took E Huang with me to the physician's courtyard. I wanted to see the diagnosis that I was given, as well as the ingredients of the tonic that I had been constantly fed with. Physician Shi Qing explained everything with the air of a doctor, using loads and loads of medical jargons.

I could not understand anything other than the possibility of me being heavily sick. The way he threw medical terminologies around made me felt so ignorant.

I returned to Zhong Hua Palace with a crushed heart. I laid deep in the corner of the dragon bed and refused to come down. When Feng Zhao Wen returned from court, E Huang described my depressed state of mind to him vividly.

All of a sudden, I fell into Feng Zhao Wen's embrace.

He had pulled me from the corner I was nesting at and had placed me against his chest. He stared at me solemnly for a long time before he was finally convinced that I was indeed sad. He swayed my body comfortingly for a couple of times; I turned dizzy because of it. I pulled at his ears while repeatedly telling him to stop. His face was tight as he stared at me, "Why did you pulled on zhen's ears?"

I sighed gently, "Your Majesty, Physician Shi told me I will not live for long. He told me to take advantage of what little time I have to do things I have always wanted to do but cannot do in the past. At least I can die in peace!"

His phoenix eyes were narrowed into slits, completely forgetting about me pulling his ears. He gritted his teeth, "Shi Qing said that?"

I nodded repeatedly.

Physician Shi, I'm sorry!

"Even though I cannot understand what he said completely, I drank so much medicine everyday but I still cannot see any result. He said, my head and body is sick beyond help."

He looked dumbfounded. He sighed after a while, "Your head is really broken. It is all my fault....."

He seemed to be really blaming himself at the moment; what a rare chance! I quickly seized the chance to beg him, "Actually, Your Majesty.... Even though my head is not very good, I am sure I will get sick if I simply stay in Zhong Hua Palace all day. I heard Phyisician Shi's medicinal knowledge is really high. Why don't I learn medicine from him?"

He swept his phoenix eyes over me in suspicion. I quickly burrow my head into his chest in heartache as I sobbed, "Your Majesty, I only want to study medicine. I want to do it to comfort my own heart. Can't you at least let me do that?"

The next day, I brought E Huang to the physician's courtyard happily.

Official Shi's eyes froze when he saw me.

I stepped forward and paid him respect the way a disciple would to a teacher. He was still in a daze, "Miss, what are you doing here?"

I smiled happily, "Shifu, His Majesty already allowed this disciple to study medicine from you. That was this disciple paying respect to you!" I signaled E Huang to take out the ink stone I got from Feng Zhao Wen's desk this morning.

E Huang placed that ink stone in Physician Shi's palm while eyeing me hesitantly.

I knew she was worried for her own head.

Stealing the emperor's ink stone from Zhong Hua Palace was a crime; someone was bound to take the blame.

As Physician Shi received the gift, he still had not snapped out of his daze.