Chapter 58 The Portrait of His Majesty and the Assassins Should Both Be Spread

After I got to know Feng Zhao Wen, I was always under the impression that he was invincible.

He was so powerful and was practically unrivaled in the battlefield. He never lost in politics and was blessed with such a good look. He didn't seem to have suffered any lost when it came to love matters as well; all in all, he was the gods' favorite child.

Tonight, in the restaurant, as I stood behind him as the assassination unfold, I realized that that may really be the case.

Perhaps, even the heavens knew that the emperor was so idle in the palace. That's why they sent these assassins to help him work out.

Although people like assassins usually came with ill-intention, since they kept appearing over and over again since the emperor was the Crown Prince, they had unwittingly helped improve his reaction time. He had became the imperturbable Mount Tai who was calm in the face of such danger.

From the way he calmly unsheathe his sword and tackle a person or two, I could tell that he was used to this. As for Yan Ping, although he was a cavalry General, he lived in peace for far too long in the Great Chen. He could hardly mask his shock when he saw those black-clothed people ambushing us. Lucky he was raised in a martial environment and he came prepared since he was appointed as our escort for this trip; he unsheathed his 3-foot long sabre as he fought alongside Feng Zhao Wen. In the blink of an eye, plates and blood flew as swords clashed into each other. It was an ominous and scary sight.

... Had there been no assassins coming after the first wave, the two of them would have been able to keep the situation under control.

There was the sound of military officers rushing downstairs and amidst the madness here, they rushed through the door of our compartment.

The officers that entered were wearing the capital's infantry uniform. Each and every one of them were tall. The apparent leader of the lot pointed at us before yelling, "These three are the people who tried to assassinate Zheng Wang! Catch them! If they resist, kill them!"

Did they have problems with their eye-sights? Did they not see those men in black?

What was even more outrageous was the emperor was now mistaken as the assassin!

Had I not been completely awake, I would have thought this was a ridiculous dream. The Great Qi was prosperous and mighty, how could the officials be so unreliable like this? Not only were they rough in doing their jobs, they also could not differentiate between the good and the bad.

Blindly accusing someone was bad, but they were actually blindly accusing their own emperor!

The emperor barely bat his lashes at them, too concentrated on his fight with those black-clothed men. It was Yan Ping who reacted first. He swung his sword over to them, "Preposterous! The emperor is right here, how dare you act so boldly towards the emperor? Which one of you is the leader? What are you waiting for? Hurry and kneel in front of the emperor!"

The leader of the lot holds his sword while haughtily replying, "The empress is pregnant, the emperor is with her in the palace. You lot actually dares to make ridiculous excuses? Everyone, what are you waiting for? Go and kill the three bandits on the spot!"

< < 24. <<<<

I could not stop myself from scoffing as I stood behind the two men, "This officer, I think your eyesight is really poor; they need to be checked by the palace's physicians. Perhaps they will need to poke a few needles into your eyes; maybe then, you will be able to see who this person is!"

That officer laughed twice, "What a sharp-tongued madam! Don't tell me you are the pregnant empress?"